Best solution for my gummy smile? Gingevectomy? Botox? (photos)

Aside from the obvious cosmetic and aesthetic benefits to this, I am also concerned for my gum health due to their constant exposure. I have already undergone a lip repositioning as you can see by the scar, and feel that it has not done anything. You can actually see the scar when I smile. What are my best options to rectify this?

Best solution for my gummy smile? Gingevectomy? Botox

Thank you for submitting your question and photos. Botox would be safest and quickest option that can dramatically improve the gummy smile.  Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Best Wishes

Botox for gummy smile

Botox is probably the safest and most predictable way to modify your gummy smile.  In skilled hands, the injections can precisely modulate the way your upper lip muscles move, improving the appearance of your smile.  The fact that it is temporary is both a good and bad thing - less than ideal treatments can be fine tuned easily without permanent smile distortion. 

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Botox for Gummy Smile

Botox for gummy smile is quick, easy and has minimal to no side effects.  It's inexpensive and temporary.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox Gummy Smile - Seek an Expert

Botox can be used to improve facial asymmetry.  I suggest seeking a board certified dermatologist with experience when using Botox for treatment of a gummy smile. Best, Dr. Emer.

Gummy Smile Treatment Options

Like others here, I would recommend you undergo Botox injections as a first choice. It is a relatively quick, office-based procedure with little downside that can potentially give you a nice overall improvement in terms of the excess, gummy smile. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Gummy Smile

I would go the Botox route as it is temporary, so there is not risk.  It is also easy.   Ultimately you would need jaw surgery which is a lot to go through for a gummy smile.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Botox for Gummy Smile

You could consider trying Botox first.  This is much less invasive than surgery.  Usually only a small amount of Botox is needed for treatment of gummy smile.  However, the results are temporary and need to be repeated every few months.  It might make sense to try Botox first before thinking about surgery.  Regards,Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for gummy smile

Botox is a great but temporary treatment option for gummy smile. A low dose (3-6 units total) of Botox injected into each levator labii superioris alaeque nasi muscle on either side of the nose is all it takes to treat gummy smile. I cannot speak to the surgical options. I would discuss your case with an experienced injector as well as your dentist.

Gummy smile

Your options are Botox or surgery and it depends on what you are willing to put up with and the cost. Botox would be a great temporary fix without the down time and cost of surgery but be sure you see a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Botox for Gummy Smile

Thank you for your question kat2727. Botox is a purified protein used to treat certain wrinkles on the face. It can also be used to address the gummy smile. A gummy smile is seen in some people who when they smile their upper lip elevates high enough so that the upper gums show in addition to the teeth. The gummy smile can be addressed by injecting 2-4 units of Botox into the LLSAN (levator labii superioris alaeque nasi) muscle at the top of the nasolabial fold, just to the side of the nostrils. This muscle elevates the lip when you smile and relaxing it with Botox can improve a gummy smile. I recommend consulting with a doctor for specific recommendations and with a dentist or oral surgeon to address the issues with your scar and gum health. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician