I had a breast lift and breast augmentation through my areola. Is sharp pain on nipple normal ? (photo)

I am officially 3 months post op and I'm experiencing some sudden sharp pain on my left nipple not all the time just sometimes and it comes suddenly? Is this normal ? Will it go away ? Help me pleas

Pain in nipple

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is quite common to experience nerve related pain in the breast after surgery, especially around the nipple.  It can start even 3 months out and often last weeks to months and is typically related to nerve recovery. 

Pain in nipple

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Sharp Pain on Nipple at 3 Months Post-Op

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

While there may still be pain from your procedure that is part of the healing process, you should never hesitate to contact your surgeon with questions or to schedule another follow-up appointment to have the area examined. Good luck.

1.    pain is variable

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common