Can the scar be removed? (photos)

I fell on something sharp as a kid while playing in the yard and it cut my knee open to the bone. I was rushed to the local hospital and the doctor stitched me up and I went home for the healing process. Over a few weeks my knee got infected and blisters developed around the stitches so I returned back to the hospital and the doctor removed them and I was informed that I would have to let the wound heal opened because of the infection. I have had self esteem issues for years. Please help :-(

Scar on Body -- Fraxel/Microneedling, Sculptra/Fat/Bellafill, Subcision, Pulsed Dye Laser; Medical Tattooing

This type of scarring would be most improved by scar revision with surgery and microneedling/lasers afterward. Please see an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

Scar improvement

Thank you for your photo. Your scar can definitely be removed with a surgical revision in which the old wide scar is excised and new thin scar is carefully put back together. The knee is a difficult area to minimize scarring because of the amount of tension and movement that occurs in that area. You may be asked to refrain from any excessive motion of the knee while you heal so you should keep this in mind in terms of scheduling any surgical treatment. It is important to have a in person evaluation by a plastic surgeon to determine the best treatment options. Hope this helps.
Johnson C. Lee MDPlastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Excision to scar

The best step forward is to consult with a plastic surgeon. This scar is best excised. You will trade scar for scar, but at least the end result will be better. Laser is not an option. All the bestDr Davin LimLaser and aesthetic dermatologist 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist