Saline implant removal. Should I have a lift at the same time?

AAcup 10 yrs ago put 395 silicone.2yrs after that I had capsular contraction had it cut & 2yrs later it happened again so had it replaced. 2yrs after happened again took out silicon & 1 capsule. I put in 450cc saline and I do not want any in. I had a MRI for neck and shoulder pain that showed 3 bulging disks and narrowing with arthritis in my neck. I am 53 5'6 should I have the lift the same time and remove both or one capsule that was not taken out with the with the other one. Or remove and wait.

Breast lift after breast implant removal

Hi,

Thanks for posting your question. I am happy to try and help you. It is important to remember that a board certified plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, and concerns.

I recommend draining the saline filled implants in the office and leaving the breast implants in after deflation. This is reasonable to allow for evaluation of the skin, breast shape and life impact of having the breast implants removed.

Once it is determined that the patient is happy without the implants. I recommend simply removing the implants. This can be done in the office and at a reasonable expense. If they shape is something that requires adjustments then the degree of adjustment and results can be discussed before surgery.

Having said that, a breast lift is a good option to be done with a breast implant removal. The costs will vary based upon the situation and where you live.

Below is a link to learn more about implant removal.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon

Explant surgery

You should have explant surgery with capsulectomy.  For explant surgery, it is almost always best to remove the capsule in its entirety. This will allow the space to heal. If you leave the capsule in place, it does not heal. Fluid can accumulate in the space. The situation that brings the patient to implant removal will have an affect on the decision. This is a surgery which requires discussion with the plastic surgeon about the problem, the goals, and the technical concerns. The body does not re-absorb the capsule. Revision surgery requires drains because the fluid is going to be generated when you operate on the scar capsule. If you provide a mechanism for the fluid to be removed (i.e. drains), the risks are lower. If the fluid accumulates because there were no drains, it will most certainly cause problems in the future.

Implant Removal

Hi Lauren, thank you for your question. My best advice would be to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon who has experience with implant removal and mastopexy. You will need an in-person examination to determine if you are a candidate for a breast lift. Best of luck to you.

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

I am sorry to hear about the complications you have had with the breast augmentation procedures. Physical examination would be necessary to provide you with an accurate assessment and advice.

This physical examination will also be important in evaluating important factors such as skin elasticity, position of the nipple/areola complexes on the breast mound, the amount of native breast tissue present, and the size of breast implants present etc. These “characteristics” will be important when it comes to providing recommendations to patients considering breast implant removal.

For example, determining whether a patient would benefit from breast lifting, will be dependent on many of these factors. I generally recommend removal of breast implant capsules if the implant capsules are thickened and/or symptomatic.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

Life experience since your breast augmentation procedure, such as pregnancy or weight gain weight loss, will potentially influence the factors discussed above. If you take these factors into consideration and apply them to your specific circumstances you may get a good idea of what to expect after the implants are removed.

Consulting with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in person will be helpful. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns), helps.

Removal with or without lift

Your situation would best be answered with an evaluation.  The surgeon needs to ascertain how much breast tissue you have as well as examine the laxity of the skin.  These things combined with your surgical goals will lead you to the answer that's right for you. I would recommend seeing a Board Certified plastic surgeon in your area to help you evaluate your options.  Good luck.

Camille Cash, MD

Hi and thanks for your question. I am sorry you have developed these problems. However, I would recommend that you see a surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has been in practice for an number of years. Best of luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Saline implant removal

Thank you for your question about your saline breast implants.

• There isn't a right or wrong but in general my patients have been happiest with -
  • Removal of the implants, removal of any thickened capsule and a small vertical lift all at the same time.
  • Otherwise you make a  simple one-step procedure into a lengthy process
  • My patients who want to rid themselves of implants is to end the process and get on with their lives. This approach allows that to happen. 
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Possibly

Need an in person formal examination to determine the amount of skin laxity and position of the nipples after explantation

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

What to Do After Removal of Breast Implants?

Many patients do fine with removal of implants alone.  The decision tree is really how much breast tissue you have and the position of the nipple/areola.   If you have at least a "B" cup of breast tissue without an implant, removal of your implants and capsule may be enough.  If the nipple/areola is lower or there is an expected excess of skin due to the size of your implants, a lift works well.

An experienced plastic surgeon can advise you of your situation.  Please get a few opinions.  It is safe to do a lift at the same time as implant removal if you have enough breast tissue and the technique the surgeon uses is appropriate.

Best wishes!

Stephen Bresnick, MD