I'm an RN on a busy med surg unit. I was wondering how many weeks of leave of absence I should request for?

Recovery after breast augmentation

I would advise you to take at least one week off after surgery. However, keep in mind that you are still healing will need to be on light duty with no heavy lifting greater than 10 pounds and no strenuous activity for 4-6 weeks. Always keep your incisions covered because of the risk of infection especially in the hospital.

Back to work after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  I am going to tell you firsr and foremost please consult your plastic surgeon for his/ her advice.  This being said I take care of many nurses for this and other procedures. I tell my nurses to take about a week off and then lighter duty for 2 more weeks. About 3 weeks before you are able to be back to lifting, but really 6-8 weeks before you are 100%. The problem I have run into with some nurses who work in the ED, ICU, or on the floor is to be at work a part of their job description is being able to perform CPR for x amount of time. For about 2 weeks this is going to be very difficult.  This is not the case with all my nurses, but just a heads up. Check with your HR department and your plastic surgeon and use your best judgment. Best of luck.

Time off for RN's having augmentation

The advice here seems unanimous... enlist your friends to do the heavy work and you could return to work a week post-op and resume normal duties 3 week post-op (some surgeons want you off longer but I've had no problems with this recommendation).  If your colleagues don't want to help, then take off 3 weeks.

Curtis Wong, MD

I have had a number of nurses over the years who have had a breast augmentation. I always suggest a week off work followed by light duty for a couple of weeks. I would recommend that you avoid lifting if at all possible at work the first two weeks. I would let some of your co-workers know what you are planning, and enlist them for help ahead of time. Good luck!

Time Off Work

This is a very personal question and involves several considerations. Do you have paid time off. Are you doing anything less strenuous at  home than at work. One week with two weekends should protect you from most post-op bleeding or complications such as seroma from doing two aggressive movement with your pectoralis muscles. Don't do any lifting, always have someone help in lifing patients my size, and don't forget to ice when you get home. Take it easy, and don't over do it.

Alan B. Pillersdorf, MD

RN patient

I'd recommend one week off work, with the understanding that during week #2 (your first week back) that you will not be moving patients.  Ask your supervisor and friends at work to help you with this.  If they are not willing to help you out, you may need 2 weeks off.

Additionally, wash with antibacterial soap for 5 days prior to surgery.  Avoid patients with active MRSA infections, if possible.  Ask your surgeon about whether you should have different antibiotics than the standard Ancef, if you work in an area where MRSA is endemic.

Time off after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. I counsel my patients that they are not to lift anything heavier than 5 pounds for 6 weeks if the implants are placed below the muscle and 3 weeks if above the muscle. As long as you are not having to lift patients or move around heavy objects you can expect to return to work after 24 to 48 hours. You should, however, follow your plastic surgeon's recommendations as every surgeon's postoperative protocol may be slightly different.

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Time Off Work For Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. I have had many nurses as BA patients. Typically I will recommend two weeks off work for them and then advise that they arrange a modified schedule with their employer to ensure that for another 4 weeks they are not doing strenuous upper body work/lifting. I recommend that you discuss your concern with your Plastic Surgeon and let them advise you about their recommendations and expected timeline for healing.

All the best