Revisions and Trusting Again: How would you effectively address needing a breast aug revision? (with the original surgeon)

Made my goals very clear with the use of multiple appointments and photos, yet I am in need for AT LEAST one revision. How should I best express to dr. w/o offending him? Ive been too shy to speak up in past. My fear is that the original dr. will have difficulty agreeing the goal still needs help. I think I would prefer someone who was more of a perfectionist. *How do I trust the again if dr. thinks revision is not needed, or seems pleased enough? ..or trust any surgeon for that matter? Scary!

Breast Implant Revision

Every surgeon has been faced with patients who feel like their goals were not accomplished. In some cases this is due to problems that can be improved by revision. Some surgeons are willing to recognize this and some are not. You should be honest with your surgeon about your concerns. If he does not feel a revision would help you achieve your goals then get a second opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon. Get copies of your operation report and implant information to take with you for a second opinion. Good luck!

Draper Plastic Surgeon

May need second opinion

You may do best getting an independent second opinion from another plastic surgeon and see if they agree with your results and your wishes.

Breast Revision with Original Surgeon

It is always best to discuss your concerns and possible need for revision with your original surgeon.   You should get a couple of other opinions to see if your concerns are realistic and if they can be addressed with a revision.  Most PS would be happy to address your concerns providing they think they can make an improvement.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Breast Revision With Original Surgeon

I recommend that you start with your original surgeon, be honest about what concerns you, see if he agrees with you and wants to correct it. If you feel he doesn't think you need any correction, you should get a couple of other opinions from Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. Good luck!

Miguel Delgado, MD

Revisions and Trusting Again: How would you effectively address needing a breast aug revision?

If you feel there is a need for improvement, you should definitely discuss this with your surgeon. You have spent hard earned money for a procedure and voicing your concerns is part of your follow up care.   Some revisions are minor and easily addressed while others are more major.  I am unclear as to the nature of your concern but an appropriate risk vs. reward discussion should happen.  Because your concern is not stated specifically, we can't evaluate if your problem is a potential risk of surgery (e.g. capsular contracture which is not the surgeon's "fault") or if you had previous surgeries that complicate your situation.  Realistic expectations are also important because sometimes what a patient desires just isn't possible.  Regardless, most surgeons should be open to hearing your concerns voiced and offering a thorough response to what could be done to remedy the situation. 

Michael Brucker, MD

Breast augmentation

Be very clear with your original surgeon about what you would like revising. This may or may not be realistic and he will be able to discuss this. If you feel you are not being heard, then I would consult another board certified plastic surgeon.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Revision issues

Without more information and photography it's difficult to assess what type of revision you are talking about. In my opinion, a frank and non-confrontational discussion with your operating plastic surgeon can best discern whether or not an operative revision has a fair likelihood of success. Just because the original surgeon doesn't feel like it can be improved, does not mean that a second surgeon may feel the same. At that point in time you certainly have the right to go and get a second opinion from another surgeon. Sometimes that patient, after having a second opinion, will go back to the operating surgeon and then come up with a plan that satisfies both. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Thank you for the insightful question;  I have reviewed your previous posts as well and understand your concerns.

Basically, it will come down to having a calm and nonconfrontational conversation with your plastic surgeon. Express your concerns/goals and sees if he/she agrees that improvement is possible or realistic.

If not, you may have to seek second opinion consultations with other board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with.   Generally speaking, it is extremely common for patients who require additional surgery to have a greater degree of anxiety (compared to patients who undergo first-time breast augmentation surgery). This anxiety, given their previous unsatisfactory experience, is understandable.

Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Depends on your concern

You say you need a revision but, don't tell us what the problem is. Things like asymmetry and poor scars may just be early in the healing process and will improve without intervention. I would approach your surgeon by saying you know that your in the healing process but you need him/her to reassure you that some of the things youre seeing aren't permanent. Make a list in advance and write it down. Trust the answers you get. There isn't anything wrong with getting a second opinion but remember, 1) there isn't one single way to do things so just because they have a different approach doesn't make them right, 2) plastic surgeons are renown for smearing each other so don't take any disparaging comments too seriously. Good luck.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon

Communication is key to successful breast implant revision surgery

It is more important that you are happy with your results than your plastic surgeon, but he or she knows better what is realistic and achievable. Choosing a surgeon for revision surgery is important because it can set the stage for more revisions if not successful. Your own surgeon is in the best position to advise you and will certainly want to make things as good as possible for you.

Richard Baxter, MD