Will I need a revision from Sientra 107 to 106 to help get rid of the extreme upper pole that I hate? My PS told me to massage.

I am 2 months out from my implant exchange from my 350cc saline implants that lasted me 15 years. I wanted to go bigger but also wanted to keep the somewhat natural slope that I had. I ended up getting 485cc sientra Mod+. I only learned after surgery that he used style 107 which is the new hsc+ only previously used in shaped implants. There is way to much upper pole fullness for my liking. Will the top portion ever come down like my old ones did? I Am I wasting my time massaging?

Hate my Upper pole after breast implant exchange, what do I do?

Hi Gemma,Thanks for your question. Some photos would help in your assessment. I would recommend waiting as implants settle regardless of what type or cohesiveness. It also depends on what kind of pocket was done during your implant exchange a new pocket or old pocket or suturing to tighten the pocket, etc. Most implants settle. Massage will help the muscle relax but has not bearing on the final outcome. I would follow your surgeons recommendations as they are the ones that know exactly what was and not done! good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#breastimplants #implantexchange

Upper pole fullnes

The roundness that you see in the upper pole is probably more related to the increase in size more than the type of cohesive gel and its relative fill volume to the implant. Usually, as time passes, with gravity, most breast implants will drop more towards the bottom of the pocket creating less upper pole fullness. Massage, in my opinion will not be helpful in the long term to accelerate this process. I would wait a few months more to see if these implants do drop producing a more natural slope. Best of luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Concerns after revisionary breast surgery…

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after revisionary breast augmentation surgery. There are many factors that come into play when it comes to how much upper pole fulness exists after breast surgery.   For example, factors such as size and positioning of the breast implant "pockets" as well as size/profiles of the breast implants may play important roles.

Your plastic surgeon, knowing exactly what procedure was performed, will be your best resource when it comes to good advice and/or reassurance. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Upper Pole Fullness

Hello,The excess amount of upper pole fullness is probably less about the gel cohesivity and more about the volume change from 350 cc to 485 cc.  Regardless, implant massage is an outdated recommendation that has no place in modern plastic surgical care; there is no evidence that it has any effect on normal healing processes or in the treatment or prevention of capsular contracture. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS