What can I do to reduce an unwanted botox side effect, which was an increased size of brow? (Photo)

I love the results of botox in my upper forehead with reducing lines, but I am constanting straining the muscles right above my brow bone to compensate. These muscles are constantly sore and are actually increasing in appearance, creating a more visible brow and masculine look to my face I am afraid I went to a less experienced botox-er, and am curious if someone with more experience and knowledge of muscle anatomy can explain how I can re-feminize my brow and reduce muscle strain.

Improving Brows

The loss of asymmetry and brow arching is typically the cause of incorrect dosing and placement of Botox. There may be a way to correct this but you would have to be seen in person. Remember to always get your injections from an expert. Best of Luck!

Summit Emergency Medicine Physician

Improving brows after Botox

I would need to see you in person for a good evaluation. Your problem can usually be corrected or prevented with a good Botox injector. It takes a good working relationship with your doctor at times to get the desired look with Botox. Once the "recipe" is perfected, it then becomes a routine visit and injection. The lines right around the brow are sometimes tough because of the risk of dropping the brow. Too much in the forehead can lose the lifting ability of the brows.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

The frown complex needs to be injected too

When the forehead is injected with Botox and the frown muscles are not, an imbalance of forces is created that can result in the sensations and appearance that you are describing. See if your injector would feel comfortable injecting both the depressor (frown complex) and elevator (forehead) muscles simultaneously which would improve your results and avoid the odd sensations you are experiencing. If you do not feel comfortable, go see another, more experienced injector who could inject you correctly from the beginning. 

Elba Pacheco, MD
Annapolis Oculoplastic Surgeon

Feminize the Brow With Botox, Ultrasound, Fillers

Lift the brow with ultherapy and fillers.  Botox has to wear off for you to get back to your normal look and that will take 3-4 months.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Heavy brow after Botox

You can inject the area in the high forehead but if you are more dependent on your frontalis muscle to keep your eyes open, your brow will feel heavy and you risk having difficulty keeping your eyelids open.  To re-feminize you can try having injections towards the lateral aspects of the corrugators (brow area) to enhance the arch generated by some lateral frontalis lift.

Peter Chien, MD

Unwanted Botox side effect

Botox can produce varying results and it is essential to discuss your concerns or goals with your injector.  If you feel your injector isn't experienced enough then I would see someone new once the Botox has worn off after three months.  Don't give up. You should love your Botox results and don't settle for less.  Best of luck.

Katrinka L. Heher, MD
Boston Oculoplastic Surgeon

Botox results

Sorry to hear about your experience. The forehead and eyebrows is one of the trickiest parts of Botox injection and one where I find less experienced injectors commonly err. In some cases this can be corrected with a "touch up" Botox injection but in your case I would see a more experienced injector for the touch up. Sorry, but I honestly can't offer more insight without either seeing you in person or seeing more photos (including a photo of your face with animation). 

Loss of eyebrow arch and asymmetry after botox

First, it always pays to go to an experienced physician for any injectable treatments.  Loss of brow arching and asymmetry are usually related to incorrect dosing and placement of injection points in the forehead.  Potentially, there may be a way to help restore the normal brow placement but you would need to be seen in person by an expert injector so you can be evaluated at rest and in dynamic motions.  Best of luck.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon