Am I ready for a necklift? (photos)

I am tired of Botox in my neck, which doesn't work for the crepiness that is beginning to appear. I have gotten several consultations which were all over the board from do nothing, to Kybella, to sculptra in front of the ear to bring things up, but only one recommended a neck lift, while one recommended submental lipo with platysmal tightening. I have done Thermage twice, and I like the "ironing" effect, but it doesn't make enough difference. Suggestions on correcting neck crepiness and jowls?

Necklift??

What is best for you, if anything, depends on what result you want, and what you're willing to give up to get it, in terms of cost, risk, and recovery time.  Ultimately, it's YOUR decision what you're ready for, it's the professional's job to arm you with the information you need to comfortably decide.  All of the possibilities you've been offered remain, each associated with a benefit:risk profile.  My general impression from your photos:  less is more.

Neck lift or not ?

Thank you for your pictures and the question. A few initial comments-  

-its great that you have been doing some treatments, such as those you have mentioned, as they have all delayed the aging that would have occurred.

- the picture you have shown are really not the best angle as you have purposely exaggerated the neck laxity by bending and turning your neck. This exacerbates the little bit of neck laxity making it appear worse. 

The reason for this is that we all need some laxity in our skin in order for us to be able to do the things we do, such as turn our heads, swallow, look up and down, smile etc. That being said, the good news is that your neck laxity is mild to moderate at best, so that is why for all the suggestions that are all over the place. Different physicians will suggest different options based on what they have available. Your best option is to speak to someone who has all the options available, that way there is no bias as to the treatment offered. 

To examine your neck in person would be the best option and to take some standard photos in a neutral position- (you can look at the profile pictures on my befores and afters for examples), will give the best photo-idea of what you are a candidate for.

That being said, the range of treatment options for patients with mild to moderate neck laxity vary from some type of energy based tightening device (ultherapy-ultrasound energy, thermage, or radio frequency based energies) which produce heat that leads to a tightening response- it looks like you have already done this. A mini lift/neck lift could also be an option, but it all depends on the extent of neck laxity you have- I have had great success with all the above mentioned options after discussing with my patients the pros and cons of each treatment (ultherapy- no downtime, neck lift-5-7 days downtime) etc

hope this helps a bit. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

Lower Facelift and neck lift are your right option!

Thanks for your question. Based on your photo and info given, I would recommend you do lower face lift and necklift surgery altogether to remove your excess skin at the sides of your neck and chin area. This will help tighening and firming your loose neck skin.

Whereas the above procedures are for the sides of your neck and chin, Submental Lipo with platysmal tightening is a right procedure to the submental or lower chin area. This procedure will help you get a submental firmness.

Tanongsak Panyawirunroj, MD
Thailand Plastic Surgeon

Am I ready for a necklift?

Your photos are not adequate for one to give you a valuable opinion and a face to face exam is needed.  From the photos at least, I personally doubt that I would recommend a necklift.  I have had several patients thrilled with correction of the pair of horizontal neck wrinkles with injection techniques IF this would be of interest to you.  

I'd suggest that you meet with bd certified docs until you meet one who gives you confidence and a trusted recommendation.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Neck Skin and Platysmal Bands -- VASER Hi Def Liposuction/ThermiRF/ThermiTight, Venus Legacy/Thermage/Ultherapy, Botox/Dysport

I suggest a formal consultation.  Some people are best with just vaser lipo/ thermi followed by ultherapy or thermage.  If there is enough laxity you can do a neck lift procedure with face thermiRF and then do maintenance treatments to prevent your investment.  See an expert.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Am I Ready for a Neck Lift

I need to see a full set of pictures as described on my website for evaluation of your neck and jowls. A neck lift is certainly a procedure to consider because you have not been satisfied with other less invasive techniques that you have tried. In properly selected patients a neck lift can remove lax skin, tighten relaxed platysma bands, and lift early jowl formation.

Treatment of early facial aging?

it is impossible to answer this question without an examination. Having said that I would be quite careful if I were you about having  light both suction, Kybella or Sculptra . These will probably make what you have worse and create a problem worse than what you have already. See a very experienced facelift surgeon for an examination. 

Necklift necessary?

Due to the neck banding and stretched appearance of the earlobe it would appear that this patient has had tightening of the neck already. A face-to-face consultation would be necessary to analyze the need and propose a solution. For this reason the patient should see an opinion from a surgeon who has many options available.

Richard O. Gregory, MD

Neck Lift

Thank you for your question. There are surgical and non-surgical options to reduce any excess fat in your neck and create a tightening effect for a more contoured jawline.

I suggest that you move forward and consult with your board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Are You Ready for a Necklift?

You raise a question that many patients ask in their 40's and early 50's" "I have had a number of minimally invasive procedures performed and am underwhelmed by the results.  Is it time for surgery?"  The answer in full would require a consultation.  However, the procedure I frequently utilize in patients with this question is a modified facelift with lateral platysmaplasty, which we describe as the Prelift.  As long as the surgery is performed well, early indication patients like yourself can achieve great results which are long lasting and appear natural.  I have posted a review of one of my patients who had the same dilemma. 

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon