How can I prevent a seroma from happening? (photo)

I had a full tummy tuck with muscle repair on September 7 2016 I had my drains removed yesterday (2 weeks post op). My doctor said to take it easy to prevent a seroma. What are some things I can do to prevent a seroma from happening, I am still on my compression garment I was told to keep it on for the next 2 weeks. What else can I do besides keeping on my compression garment ?

Keep doing what you are doing

I think you've got it perfect already with what you are doing - wearing your compression garment and taking it easy. Too much activity can jiggle tissue loose that is trying to heal together and then fluid can accumulate there (a seroma). By wearing your garment, you help hold the tissue together and by taking it easy, you won't jiggle it loose.

Aside from that, if I was forced to suggest anything additional, I would encourage you to make sure you are getting good nutrients - protein, vitamin C (in moderation), a multivitamin, etc. just to keep your healing on tract.

How to prevent seroma after TT

Thank you for your question. The best thing you can do is don't over due it physically. Continue to wear your postoperative garment. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD