Best way to prepare for a tummy tuck

What to do before the surgery and how to prepare for after.

Tummy tuck preparation

You will get specific instructions on the dos and donuts from your surgeon prior to surgery.  It is very important to follow your specific surgeon's instructions and address your questions dir toy to their office.  I'm sure they will make sure all your questions and concerns are properly addressed.  Good luck!

Preparation for a Tummy Tuck Procedure.

Being overall in good health and not smoking for at least one month before (and indefinitely after) are the first things that come to mind when I talk to my patients before a tummy tuck.  Next in importance is to be at a healthy and maintainable weight to optimize results as well as to avoid blood thinning medications such as aspirin, ibuprofen, advil....... for at least two weeks before and after the procedure.  I hope that this helps and I'd suggest that you watch the video link above for some additional post operative suggestions.  Regards and enjoy your results,

on A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Preparing for a tummy tuck

Your tummy tuck surgeon will provide you with specific before and after care instructions when it comes to your procedure. However, it is best that patients stop smoking at least a month before surgery. It is also advised that patients avoid taking drugs that can increase bleeding, such as aspirin or other anti-inflammatory drugs. Following surgery, you will have to schedule follow up visits with your surgeon so that he can ensure that your healing is progressing nicely.

Dr. Jonathan Berman 

Jonathan Berman, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Preparing for a Tummy Tuck

If you are a smoker, you will be asked to stop smoking well in advance of surgery. Aspirin and certain anti-inflammatory drugs can cause increased bleeding, so you should avoid taking these medications for a period of time before surgery. We will ask you to stop some medications, supplements and certain vitamins. A complete list will be provided.

Our doctors perform abdominoplasty as an outpatient procedure. Be sure to arrange for someone to drive you home after surgery and to stay with you for at least the next day or two. When abdominoplasty is performed in conjunction with medically necessary procedures such as hysterectomy or hernia repair, a short hospitalization may be required. Best of luck!

Dhaval M. Patel 

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates 

Barrington 

Oakbrook 

Chicago 

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Pre Op Preparations

Thank you for your question. Some tips for preparation are; talk to you doctor about losing weight and try to do so if they recommend it. To have best results, you should be as close to your ideal weight as possible.

Quit smoking. You should be completely smoke free for at least four weeks prior to the surgery. You will also need to remain smoke free for at least two weeks after the surgery during the initial healing phase.Refrain from taking any blood thinning medications or supplements starting two weeks before the surgery.  Speak with your surgeon about any medications that you are currently taking and so that they can advise you about supplements or recommended products as well. It is helpful to have friends, family or other help available after surgery so that you can avoid strenuous activities in the early post op phase. Your surgeon will let you know what their recommended activity restrictions are.

All the best

Tummy tuck preparation

Different practices will have different requirements and recommendations for their patients scheduled for a tummy tuck. In my practice, we have all patients undergo bloodwork and evaluate your heart and general health to make sure there are no red flags before undergoing general anesthesia. It is important that you avoid certain medications that can affect your bleeding or clotting several weeks before your surgery. You should also make some home preparations to make sure your recovery goes as smooth as possible. This includes making sure you have time off from work, friends or family who can assist you in case of emergencies, and day to day activities planned out ahead of time including transportation, meals/groceries, and laundry so that you can have a stress-free and comfortable recovery. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee, MD Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Tummy tuck

You need a medical clearance and some blood tests prior to the surgery. For older patients I increase the threshold for the clearance with stress tests and cardiology evaluations

Norman Bakshandeh, MD, FACS

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective pre op and post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Best way to prepare for a tummy tuck?

The best preparation is whatever your surgeon tells you is the best preparation.  Not all tummy tucks are alike.  I myself do a different tummy tuck procedure on each individual patient depending on how much extra skin must be removed, how low the scar can be, the belly button configuration, how loose the abdominal wall is, how fat or lean the patient is, where abdominal scars are, and even tatoo patterns sometimes.  These variations influence preparation beforehand, technique of the operation, and recovery afterward.  

We online surgeons are unaware of the tummy tuck you'll have and your surgeon's recommended preparation.  Our office provides a written set of instructions, and general pre-surgical advice is on our website too, under "about us."

Steve Laverson, MD

Preparing for Tummy Tuck Surgery

Your surgeon will be giving you detailed instructions for before and after surgery. If you haven't chosen a surgeon yet, you want to be sure the he/she is Board Certified in Plastic Surgery. View many before and after pictures and read online reviews. To get the best result you should get as close to your ideal weight that you can and be able to maintain it. Eating healthy and having a good exercise program before and after surgery is recommended. You should be finished having children before having a tummy tuck. For my patients I want them to stop all blood thinners 2 weeks before and two weeks after surgery. If you smoke, stop 4 weeks before and after surgery. Bbe sure you have planned enough time off work for your recovery and if you have small children at home, have someone to help you. Plan meals and freeze ahead of time if you won't have help cooking. Have your wardrobe with things that are easy to get in and out of and open in the front. Have things available to keep you entertained while recovering such as books, laptop, etc. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD