Pregnancy after tummy tuck ?

Is pregnancy after a tummy tuck possible? Can the baby be a full term baby ? Will they be complications ? I just really like to know

Pregnancy after tummy tuck ?

Hello dear, thank you so much for your questions.

The tummy tuck not limited the possibility of new pregnancies. But these, to the relaxing again the wall abdominal, can "release" again them woven annulling them effects of the repair abdominal made. For this reason, it is best to practice this surgery, when it has been decided not to have more children.

Hope to hear from you soon, best wishes!! 

Pregnancy after tummytuck

Hello and thank you for your question. While it is safe to get pregnant after having a tummytuck it can have an effect on your results. The diastasis that you had repaired could need to be redone and you have the chance of dealing with loose skin again. A tummytuck is an operation you should only try to done once if possible and maintain the result. 

John W. Tyrone, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

While it is perfectly safe to get pregnant after a tummy tuck, it will most definitely adversely affect your results. Personally, I always encourage my patients to wait until they are completely finished having children and close to a maintainable goal weight before considering a tummy tuck. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

You can certainly have a healthy pregnancy following a tummy tuck procedure.  I have had a few patients who weren't quite done having children and had no issues carrying a child full term without complications. The only issue that can come into play is a possible revision needed to the tummy tuck, as the abdominal muscles may shift and separate causing a need for tightening the muscles back up again. I do recommend my patients wait until they are finished having children to eliminate the need of a revision procedure.  

Fred Hackney, MD (retired)

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

Pregnancy after tummy tuck happens more than you would think.  I think most plastic surgeons have patients who have unexpected pregnancies after tummy tuck surgery. The good news is that nature will generally prevail, and most patients have quite normal pregnancies. The downside to having a baby after tummy tuck is that  you might negate many of the benefits you achieved with the surgery. I should also add that revision tummy tuck surgery is sometimes more complicated. For these reasons most plastic surgeons would recommend that you finish having your babies prior to the surgery. Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

Yes, it is possible to have a normal pregnancy after a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) surgery.  Obviously, the muscle and skin tightening effects from the tummy tuck would be reversed when the tummy area is stretched again with pregnancy.  Discuss your questions with your ob/gyn doctor and/or board certified plastic surgeon.  If you have not had a tummy tuck yet, it is recommended to wait until after having all your children before proceeding with this elective cosmetic surgery procedure.  

George John Alexander, MD, FACS

Pregnancy after tummy tuck?

Yes, it is possible to safely carry a baby after having the abdominoplasty procedure. In general, it is in your best interest, to be as certain as possible that no more pregnancies are in your future prior to having the tummy tuck. Pregnancy after abdominoplasty may cause changes that will require further surgery to correct. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight. 

Having said the above, if you are not planning on pregnancies in the near future, it may make sense to undergo tummy tuck surgery now (and hopefully enjoy the outcome of the procedure for many years). Just keep in mind, as you mentioned, that a revisionary procedure may be necessary after pregnancies are completed.

I hope this, and the attached link ( dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns) helps.

Tummy tuck then pregnancy?

While it is entirely possible to become pregnant and bear a child after having had a tummy tuck, it's not usually recommended. That's because some or maybe most of the benefit of the original tummy tuck is lost as a result of the stretching forces and/or weight gain of a norrmal pregnancy. Most plastic surgeons agree that it's best to wait until you are sure that you have concluded your child bearing before undergoing a tummy tuck.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Suffolk Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy after tummy tuck

Because a tummy tuck is a significant procedure and a pregnancy after a tummy tuck will worsen the results, I ask my patients to be certain that they are done having children before having a tummy tuck.  But, life has a funny way of changing our plans and I have a couple of patients over the years who have become pregnant after a tummy tuck.  Both women were able to deliver to term without an issue, but the diastasis repair was ruined.

Samuel Beran, MD