What are permanent problems after breast augmentation? (Photo)

My Breast Augmentation (saline under the muscle) has been 9 weeks ago and I'm feeling some sharp pain on my back in my "latissimus doris". And I'm experiencing some soreness on both my arms, I have not began to work out. Will it go away when should I be concerned, will it get worse ????

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, at the first 3 to 4 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support…

Pain

This is a pretty unusual presentation to have pain like that in that area after a breast augmentation. I would really need to see you in the office to better characterize the pain. Since you are just 9 weeks out you may want to give it a little more time but I would not hesitate to go see your surgeon to get better clarification. 

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Concerns after breast augmentation

Thanks for your questions.  All the symptoms that you are experiencing can be quite common after breast augmentation.  Everything you describe should be improving over time and at 9 weeks after your procedure you should definitely be able to begin light exercises.

I typically allow my breast augmentation patients begin light exercise at 10 days after their procedure and the majority are back to their full, unrestricted exercise routine between 5 and 6 weeks after their procedure.

I would encourage you to follow up with your surgeon if you are concerned or if you continue to have questions.  

Best wishes during your continued recovery!

Dr. Brown

Daniel Brown, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Permanent problems after BA

Thanks for your questions. The symptoms you are describing should resolve with time. I would definitely voice ALL of your concerns with your surgeon. Good luck. 

Mehdi K. Mazaheri, MD

Breast augmentation

You are still a relatively fresh post op patient. You should discuss this with your surgeon. Most of the time this goes away. You may find it easier to talk to the office nurse, who is usually very knowledgeable. Either way, this is something to discuss with your surgeon's office.

Tracy E. McCall, MD
Milwaukee Plastic Surgeon

9 Weeks Post Op

It is not common in my experience for patients to report this type of discomfort 9 weeks after surgery. I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon for assessment.

All the best

What are permanent problems after breast augmentation?

Good Afternoon,

Thank you for your question.  It is not uncommon for patients to experience back or arm discomfort after breast surgery, however be sure to be checking in with your Plastic Surgeon to have your progress monitored.  Always let them know if any symptoms are new or changing!

Best of Luck,

Dr. K.

Julie Khanna, MD FRCSC
Ontario Plastic Surgeon

Back pain after breast augmentation

It is not common to have back pain as a result of breast augmentation. It would be difficult to say if your symptoms are related to your surgery or not. I would suggest discussing your concerns with your surgeon. A physical exam can help rule out many things. If you don't have a contra-indication, you might want to consider using some over the counter anti-inflammatory medication and seeing if things improve with just some time.

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon