Orbital fat loss fat grafting desired.

I would like to know what are the preconditions for autologous fat transfers given that I am very fit and lean. 51 YO Transgender person seeking restoration procedure for superior suclus deformity. My questions lies in the volume of body fat required to perform this procedure. Thanks.

Fat grafting of upper eyelid

Not a lot of fat is needed for grafting of this area. Fat may be harvested from the abdomen, thighs, buttocks and even upper arms. This aspirate is purified and the fat is grafted.

Orbital fat loss with hollow sunken eyelids

Your best option may be filler injection to treat upper eyelid hollowness, if you are lean person. Fillers actually are more predictable than fat and do last about 2 years in the eyelid area. See following link and video.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Orbital volume fat loss?

I would suggest you use a filler such as Juvéderm rather than fat.  The good news about fat is that it is permanent the bad news about fat is it is permanent. Very difficult to remove and that is why I suggest a filler which can be reversed if it is overfilled. 

Orbital fat loss fat grafting desired.

Hi and thanks for your question. The amount of fat which is required to correct the superior orbital sulcus deformity is normally 1 to 2 mL of fat per side. I would recommend that you see a very experienced board-certified plastic surgeon who has expertise in facial rejuvenation. That is my best advice after 30+ years experience in facial plastic surgery. Best of luck.
Richard Chaffoo,MD,FACS,FICSTriple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

Fat grafting to the upper lid

Thank you for your question.  Even very lean patients almost universally will have enough fat for filling eyelids.  The superior sulcus can be filled with 1-3 cc depending on the degree of hollowing.  a t-spoon is 5cc, so you can imagine that you probably have this along your abdomen, lower back, hips or thighs.  Modern fat grafting techniques have advanced considerably allowing for less "overfill".  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting for restoration of facial volume - eyes

Fat grafting is a great modality we have to offer especially when it comes to restoring fat to deflated or deficient areas. It is a natural alternative to hyaluronic acid fillers. Around the orbit, micro cannulas are used to apply small aliquots of fat where needed. The superior sulcus, or the area just under the upper bony rim of the eye socket, can be a difficult region to treat because of safety concerns. While only a small volume is generally needed (this would have to be determined by physical exam), it is a delicate operation with many structures at risk such as the globe and nerves that run along the orbital rim. Even on very lean persons, more than enough fat can be harvested to treat the eyes. Remember though, weight gain may make your eyes appear puffy since the fat that is grafted may also increase there! Make sure you find a highly qualified, board certified Plastic Surgeon or equivalent to evaluate you!

Dan Mills, MD