Is this normal for my breast to look like this when hands are on hips and flexed? (Photos)

I am not knowing if this is normal i have had my breast for 6 years and i feel its getting worse. I have had 2 children and breastfed both for 6 months each pregnancy... i can hear a little pop noise when i flex ..

Animation Deformity

Thank you for your question and photos. They don't appear to demonstrate significant animation deformity however the effect of implant distortion with pectoral muscle flexion is common. If you feel that your breasts are changing/becoming firmer or causing discomfort, I recommend that you see your Plastic Surgeon in person for assessment.

All the best

Flexion deformity

Flexing deformity of the breasts is common when the implants are placed under the muscle.  Yours is of a moderate degree.  Although there are strategies to try to correct it, in your case u don't think it would be worthwhile unless you are really unhappy with them.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Animation deformity

Thank you for your question.  What you are seeking is an animation deformity. This is normal when implants are placed in the sub muscular position.  This is why in fitness models and body builders implants are typically placed on top if the muscle to avoid this. You can have the implants moved above the muscle, but as with any operation there are risks. If it continues to really bother you after knowing thus is normal, you may choose to explore your surgical options. Good luck.

Is this normal for my breast to look like this when hands are on hips and flexed?

Animation deformity or flexion deformity is quite common when breast implants are placed under the chest muscles. Revision breast augmentation by placing implants above the muscles can reduce this issue. Thank you for sharing your photos and concerns. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Is this normal for my breast to look like this when hands are on hips and flexed

what you are seeing is referred to as animation or winking of the implants. It occurs when implants are placed beneath the muscle in an attempt to reduce capsular contracture rates. As you get older and lose breast tissue, the rippling can also occur and be more visible. It is nothing dangerous but is one of the potential trade-offs of a submuscular placement

Julio Garcia, MD

Thank you for your photographs.  It is very common for subpectoral implants to displace with contraction of the pectoral muscle.  In my opinion this is acceptable as a trade-off for better mammography and a more natural sloping appearance with less risk of capsule contracture when the implant is in the subpectoral position.  This may be becoming more obvious as you lose breast tissue volume and your breast coverage is thinning as you mature.Many doctors are now offering fat grafting in patients who have donor fat to thicken the breast tissue layer and cover up some of the deformity, but success is not guaranteed.I hope this provides helpful information for you.  The pictures do not appear to be very dramatic and my advice would probably be to not proceed with surgery unless you are very unhappy with what you see in the mirror.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACSDiplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

In answer to your excellent inquiry, one must first define "normal."  For many, having breast implants is distinctly abnormal.  They're mechanical, not biological.  That being said, your photograph doesn't demonstrate the precise issue.  A video would likely offer more information about the problem, or, of course, in person evaluation.

You're referring to "animation" of your dual plane positioned implants with contraction of your pectoralis major muscle, superimposed on progressive contracture.  These specific issues are most successfully evaluated and discussed in consultation, and treated surgically.

Steve Laverson, MD

You are seeing animation caused by pectoralis muscle contraction. Yours is not severe and not creating a significant deformity.

This can be improved by converting the implants to a new pocket on top of the muscle, however correction is not always successful.

Thank you for your question and photos.
Flexion Deformity does occur with breast implant surgery.  I would recommend visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate experience in this area.  I would most likely suggest maintaining the breast implants in the sub muscular position, but releasing the scar tissue/ muscle. This flexion deformity cannot always be 100% corrected but can usually be improved.

Animation deformity

Depending on how much of your muscle was released at the time of surgery, you can have some mild movement of your breast in certain positions (animation deformity).  Some amount of this mile imperfection must be tolerated.  If it is excessive, surgical release may be helpful.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS