Since nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, wouldn't a vasodilator before breast reduction surgery counter the affects of smoking?

I'm a smoker an I know I need to quit. But I also need a breast reduction. So if the problem with nicotine is that it's a vasoconstrictor, would it be possible to use a vasodilator before breast reduction surgery to counter the affects of smoking?

Vasodilarors

the problem with using a vasodilator is that it will lower your blood pressure and also cause more risk of bleeding.  Best to stop smoking and also no nicotine patch or gum.

I think that a main source of danger from smoking is the elevated CO (CarbonMonoxide) levels in the blood that binds to hemoglobin preventing the delivery of oxygen.  Since there is much at risk, I wouldn't take any chance and would delay a breast reduction, a facelift or a tummy tuck until the patient was free of tobacco for at least a month.  Safety first.....
Jon A. Perlman, M.D. FACS Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) Beverly Hills, Ca.

Jon A. Perlman, MD

tireast reduction and nicotine?

Thank you for the interesting question and congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  Unfortunately, there is no way to  specifically/predictably "target" a vasodilator against the harmful effects of nicotine products.
 My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she has significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Then, abstain from all types of nicotine products  prior to surgery (different doctors will have different recommendations interns of duration of abstinence).
 Again, as you work toward your goals, keep in mind that breast reduction surgery tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations performed. I hope this, and the attached link/video helps. Best wishes.

Vasodilator to counter the effects of nicotine a vasocontrictor before a reduction to counter the effects of smoking

Thank you for your question but the effects of smoking on the body are not that simple and can't be countered by other drugs.  The safest way to approach this situation is to stop smoking completely or at least for 8 weeks before surgery.  This will not completely remove the risks associated with smoking but will help.

John D. Smoot, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Reduction

Thank you for the question and the simple answer is No it won't help.  Quitting smoking prior to surgery is the safest and BEST idea!
Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Vasodilators don't work on a specific location and would cause hypotension, a dangerous situation after surgery. Once you quit smoking you can get a safe breast reduction. And you will extend your life and reduce the high risk of a multitude of very bad physical ailments. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

NICOTINE & SURGERY

The best way to counter the vasoconstriction and poor healing effects of nicotine is to stop the nicotine for 3-6 weeks before surgery.  Traces of nicotine can be detected in your urine for several weeks after you stop smoking.  While taking a vasodilator sounds like a good idea to counter nicotine, it has health problems of its own, if you do not need it.  Effects such as low blood pressure, fainting on standing, and stress on your heart and circulatory system could result..  I ask my patients to stop all contact with nicotine (including second hand smoke) for 6 weeks before surgery. If you check Pub Med you will find papers that I have written on the effects of nicotine and wound healing,  I have 40 years experience as a plastic surgeon, which is why I got interested in smoking & surgery.

Paul Silverstein, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Vasoldilators before breast reduction

No. This would make you bleed more during surgery. There is no way around the fact that you need to stop smoking before this surgery.

Karen Quigley, MD