Is a narrow implant the only option to fix tenting?

I was given feedback that choosing a narrow implant is necessary to fix symmastia or tenting. I don't have severe symmastia however. I do not like high profile implants. I also don't want anything larger than two finger gap between my breast. Is a moderate plus profile really out of the question ?

Symmastia repair

Revision surgery is complex and full of trade offs. If the same implant width and size is used, lateral relaxation can be performed, but then you will have additional lateral show or side boob. If you're ok with that then the same or similar width may be a possibility, while still relieving stress on medial repair.  Wider cleavage is better tolerated with a lower profile implant as the cleavage edges are less steep. Without pictures I cannot make any specific recommendations for your anatomy.  Seek multiple consultations as there are many ways around the mountain. Best of luck. 

Is a narrow implant the only option to fix symmastia?

I suspect that you are asking a question with regards to symmastia.This is a very difficult problem to correct.The correction involves both changing the size of the implant as well as the extent of the implant pocket.The ultimate implant size/profile/volume that is needed/available really depends upon the particular individual and their unique anatomy.I am so sorry that I cannot give a more specific opinion.With best regards.

Symmastia can be fixed. The implant profile is irrelevant. It may be that you have a narrow chest width and the surgeon wants to keep the same volume without placing too wide of an implant risking putting pressure on the symmastia repair. In theory, that is understandable, however, you can place a moderate profile implant and perform a "mirror image" capsulotomy and release the tension on the repair. Best of luck to you.

Paul E. Chasan, MD
Del Mar Plastic Surgeon

Implant Choice for #Symmastia

An examination by a board certified plastic surgeon and complete review of your operative note is key to decide the type of implant and type of procedure required. It might be possible to use different types of implants including a moderate plus depending on your exam. 

Seek consultation with an expert at breast revision

Symmastia is a difficult problem to fix and repairs often fail. You would need to consult with a plastic surgeon to determine the strength of your soft tissue envelope and support, the best size and shape implant and if additional re-enforcement is required. Over dissection of the pocket medially and large implants can lead to symmastia and the repair of this can range based on severity from downsizing implants, to addition of dermal products to bolster medially, to removal of implants and staged revision augmentation months later in he worst cases.

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

High profile breast implants are not your only option for revision breast augmentation. You could potentially have Moderate Plus breast implants. But, if you and your plastic surgeon have decided on a particular volume, the high profiles recommended by your surgeon may have particular dimensions that will best fit your breasts and chest. In some cases you may have to downsize your volume if you want to go with the Moderate Plus. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

When worried about symmastia and thinking of more surgery

photos must be provided to provide any speculation as to what would work for you.  In addition, knowing the width of your breasts and the space between the breasts is also required to comment on what you ask.  Best to see your surgeon who can show you with a ruler, just how wide each implant is and what impact it would have on your intermammary distance.

Curtis Wong, MD

Symmastia repair

The key to a symmastia repair is to suture the over-expanded area in the center, from the inside of the pocket.  Sometimes this needs a reinforcing material or a capsular flap.

The implant that is then placed should be chosen so it doesn't stress out the repair by being overly large or overly wide.  Fit the implant nicely to the base width of the patient.  Usually this strategy works well.

Thank you for your question but specific volumes and an examination are needed to answer it so see some experts in your area

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Following the advice of anyone on this or any other website who would presume to tell you what to do without seeing photos and more importantly  without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person, and look at sizers.

Robert Singer, MD FACS 

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon