About 7 months ago one of my eyelids started to change. Any suggestions? (photos)

About 7 months ago one of my eyelids started to change and get a triple fold. I have researched all over and can't figure out what it is. If I push slightly on my eye the fold goes away. This makes me think that it could be an orbital tumor pushing my eye out. I'm no expert. It isn't a ptosis is it? Get gets worse throughout the day and this scares me into thinking that it could be ocular myasthenia gravis. Any ideas? Should I be seeing an ophthalmologist?

Doctor Answers 4

Ocular myasthenia gravis-sounds like too much internet research.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have mild upper eyelid ptosis.  There is a compensatory eyebrow elevation.  There is slightly more levator dehiscence in the left upper eyelid.  While it looks like you have too much skin with an extra fold, this is here because you are missing volume in the upper eyelid fold.  You did not provide old photographs, however it is likely you have a compensatory eyebrow elevation and combined with retraction of anterior orbital fat into the orbit with the levator dehiscence this area now looks depleted.  Help would be in the form or an anchor blepharoplasty with a small levator advancement, a ptosis procedure.  This will also encourage the eyebrow to settle back down to its normal position.

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Eyelid changes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi Anna,

Thanks for your question and photo. It is hard to assess with an incomplete photo and no before pictures. It certainly seems like extra skin exists. MG usually gets worse as as the day progresses and is seen in both eyes and not just one eye. I would recommend an in person consultation with an eyelid specialist, plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon. They are best suited and fixing your issue. Good Luck.

All the best,
Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
#eyelidsurgery #docmata
Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Carlos Mata, MD, MBA, FACS
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Eyelid changes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
An ophthalmologist or Oculoplastic surgeon evaluation would provide reassurance to you, especially with the diagnoses that you mention in your post! Tumors and myasthenia produce other symptoms and are relatively rare, but if you are worried, it would be worth it to have a complete examination. Your photo is taken from approximately 15 degrees left and up - so it is difficult to say whether you have ptosis or not. Seeing an Oculoplastic surgeon would be reassuring to you, because he or she would be able to measure the ocular position in the eyesocket, check your ocular motility, and suggest options to correct the eyelid asymmetry. Best wishes!

Sara A. Kaltreider, MD
Charlottesville Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Eyelid asymmetry

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 everyone has some degree of eyelid asymmetry, it just depends on the degree of asymmetry that is present. A conservative upper eyelid, skin only blepharoplasty can address making the lids appear more symmetric

William Portuese, MD
Seattle Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 158 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.