Mona Lisa or ThermiVa for vaginally dryness?

Hi. I am 43 years old healthy, non smoker and not in my menopause. Lately I've been having problems with no moisture down below. I'm trying to decide if Mona Lisa or themiva would be better suited to address that problem. I have no other problems down there. I.e loose, undesirable labia etc. The lack of moisture is now becoming a problem and I'm not sure what direction I want to go in as theres so many conflicting claims.

ThermiVa or MonaLisa Touch for moisture

ThermiVa is a radiofrequency device utilizing thermal (heat) energy to target cell growth. It’s comfortable and has absolutely no downtime. ThermiVa is FDA approved for vaginal tightening. Many patients also report increased sensitivity, lubrication and stimulation, in additional to relief from incontinence, but it’s primary function is vaginal tightening and any additional benefit is just that. At my practice, we have remarkable results doing ThermiVa + O-Shot procedures together. By adding the O-Shot PRP injection to the ThermiVa treatment, patients many times also exhibit increased orgasms and heightened sensitivity.

MonaLisa Touch is a CO2 fractional laser using ablative techniques to revitalize the vaginal mucosa (tissue) to create more collagen. MonaLisa Touch is FDA approved to treat vaginal atrophy, including vaginal dryness and painful intercourse. MonaLisa Touch treats vaginal dryness, burning, discomfort and itching along with painful intercourse due to loss of elasticity and is a wonderful option, especially for post-menopausal women experiencing decreased lubrication.  Based on your primary concern being lack of vaginal moisture (not decreased sensitivity or mild vaginal relaxation), the best option will likely be MonaLisa Touch. 

As always, visit with a trained physician who offers multiple options to address your concerns. A physical exam and discussion with a physician who offers both options to ensure the best information. Cheers!

ThermiVa

Thank you for your question.  We are having great results treating dryness with ThermiVa.  One of the best thing about ThermiVa is that there is no downtown after this procedure.  It takes about 30 minutes and you can resume normal activity right after.  There is no pain involved with ThermiVa.  Initial treatment is once a month for 3 months then a touch up treatment once every 6-12 months.  Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon

Vaginal Dryness and ThermiVA

One of the most encouraging results of ThermiVA treatment course is significant improvement in Vaginal Moisture. This is one of the main reasons that ThermiVA has a 98% patient satisfaction rate. 

The best results with ThermiVA are seen with 3 consecutive treatments (each 1 month apart) and 1 maintenance treatment annually thereafter.  The consecutive treatment builds upon one another and ultimately tightens internal vaginal mucosa and external genitalia for up to one year.

Great improvement in external and internal tissue tightness, vaginal moisture and even mild urinary incontinence can be seen after just one treatment, with most durable results after 3 recommended treatments. 

My Best suggestion is to seek a consultation with a reputable provider and discuss your unique case so that recommendations can be made and expectations can be set. 

ThermiVa vs. MonaLisa Touch

Marie,

That's a great question! We created a blog post comparing ThermiVa and MonaLisa Touch and I think it would be great for your inquiry. 

Jayesh Panchal, MD
Edmond Plastic Surgeon

ThermiVa or Mona Lisa for dryness

You could expect to receive improvement with dryness after either procedure. However, I would recommend Thermiva because there is no pain, no down time and no lasers involved. ThermiVa Treatments.

• 15-25 minute office procedure
  • No preparation needed, no anesthesia (general or local)
  • Treats both labia and vagina in under 30 minutes (can choose to treat labia and/or vagina)
    • Promotes tightening of vulvovaginal tissues
    • Promotes new collagen formation
      • Tighter skin
      • Softer and smoother skin
    • Temperature controlled heat -set to patient comfort level
    • Very comfortable warmth
    • Thin handpiece (no bulky uncomfortable device inserted)
    • No lasers! No cutting! No sutures!
    • No Downtime or recovery period
    • No Discharge
    • Disposable single use hand piece (new handpiece each time)
    • Very affordable
    • Can be performed as early as 6 weeks after giving birth
    • Helps with dryness of the vagina

ThermiVa

I would recommend the thermiVa procedure but only because I have used very successfully in my patients with similar complaints.ThermiVa is a safe, painless and effective procedure.

Thermiva

Hi Marie,
Considering that both help with lubrication I would favor Thermiva as it doesn't damage the tissue, it only stimulates blood flow and improves glandular function. We don't use the Mona Lisa laser in our clinic but it is a fractional CO2 laser, which causes injury to the vaginal lining to induce improvement. Thermiva is a radiofrequency wand that gently heats the tissue and does not break the surface of the vaginal lining. Thermiva also helps with orgasmic function, which can never hurt, even if not a current complaint. The blood flow increase from Thermiva is key.
Best to you,
Dr. Norcom

Derek Norcom, MD
Portland Physician

No data

There is no data comparing the two directly. They both have reported success. Also don't forget DiVa, a laser now available also with excellent results as well.

ThermiVa Increases Vaginal Lubrication

Thank you for your question. I find ThermiVa to be a great solution for treating vaginal dryness by increasing moisture and lubrication. Some patients get to enjoy this effect after the first treatment while others begin noticing a difference upon completing the three recommended treatments. It's important to get all three treatments in order to obtain the long term benefits that ThermiVa has to offer. Since you're not looking to tighten the labias or obtain other aesthetic benefits of ThermiVa, your treatments will specifically be geared towards increasing lubrication. Patients are very impressed with these results. Please see a Thermi expert in your area. You can find one on the Thermi website.

Brian M. Kinney, MD, FACS

ThermiVa

Thank you for your question. My patients provide excellent feedback with Thermiva regarding vaginal dryness. ThermiVa helps improve moisture and there is no downtime with treatment. It is typically performed in a series of 3 treatments. I would recommend an in person consultation to determine candidacy.

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician