Will losing weight after a body lift result in more sagging or loose skin? (photo)

I am 5'10 170lbs. My goal weight is 140lbs. I am at a stand still with my weight loss and I feel like I am ready for a total body lift. (Heaviest weight 398lbs) But I'm concerned that after surgery I will lose a few extra pounds and have saggy skin all over again. Please advise. Also looking for a P.S. who specializes in these scenarios. I want an impressive result, not conservative. I want any trace of my "rhino" days gone.

Body lift

Hello and thank you for your question. Most impressive amount of weight loss.  Congratulations. You have plateau ', together with your impressive weight loss I believe you are ready for post massive weight loss body contouring. You will lose some weight by doing this and it's probably unlikely that you will lose much more. Having said that I believe that with appropriate body contouring you should retain your shape without getting loose skin again even if you do lose more weight later on. I have specialized in post massive weight loss body contouring for the past 15 years. Please review my website below. You may call with any questions. 
Peter Fisher M.D. 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Awesome results waiting for you!!!

First of all I have to tell you honestly that your body has changes like if you have lost only 50-70 lbs. But knowing you have lost more than 200 lbs I have to congratulate you for the wonderful quality of tissues.
Also I have to be very honest and you have to accept about the permanent changes that surgery will not erase completely.
Definitely a tummy tuck with a combination of lower body lift will make your body to change dramatically. I would also recommend during theses procedures muscle repair to create the smallest waist possible, because LBL sometimes let a square figure. Some liposuction to lower back will also enhance and help to create a curvy lower back.
If after surgery you lose 10-15 lbs more, no problem at all, but if you lose more than 20 lbs you might end up with a bit more loose skin. But nothing extreme, knowing your great quality of tissues.
Be encouraged!!!
You will be loving your results.
Dr. Cardenas

More sagging or loose skin after total body lift

Congratulations on your weight loss. At your height, and the dramatic weight that you've lost, you're probably ready for major body contouring, a total body lift being one of the procedures that you'd be likely to consider. Board-certified plastic surgeons who do plenty of this reconstructive surgical work, like myself, feel that we can be aggressive when performing these surgeries, so get yourself a surgeon who does this often! As to your concern about saggy skin afterwards, the chances of that are slim (pun intended) and should not be a deterrent in your consideration of this surgery. And even if you continue to lose weight and are unhappy with certain anatomical features you can always get minor revisions done. That is something almost every surgeon is willing to perform for his/her patients. Good luck and fare well.

You should lose all the weight you want to lose and be stable before having any body contouring procedurs

losing a significant amount of weight after a body contouring surgery will worsen your results as weight loss de - fills your skin and creates more laxity.  It is best to wait until you reached your weight goals.  Patience pays off.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Will losing weight after a body lift result in more sagging or loose skin?

There is no question that you can have a very dramatic result.  A circumferential body lift could be performed at your current weight.  I would seek out a plastic surgeon with great reviews and great before and after pictures who performs hundreds of body contouring procedures each year.

Body lift

Great work losing all that weight.  You are a great candidate for a body lift.  I feel you need a circumferential removal of skin as your skin excess is in your flanks and buttock/lower back region.  It appears you are ready now to proceed.

I agree that you should find someone who is experienced with post bariatric body contouring.  I would start off by looking for board-certified plastic surgeons in your area, meeting with them and deciding which one is the best for you.

Best wishes for your surgery!

Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon

Hello!  Thank you for your question!  It is always recommended for weight loss/continued diet and exercise prior to any plastic surgery aesthetic procedure. Not only will this be beneficial to your health and minimize complications, it will also optimize your results. Getting to your ideal body weight for your procedure will behoove you as the amount of tightening and excess skin/tissue removal will be maximized. Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Body Lift

Congratulations on your weight loss.  A common first line of attack for patients who have lost weight is a body lift procedure. Most plastic surgeons refer to a body lift as a circumferential body lift = belt lipectomy = lower body lift. This procedure is essentially 3 procedures in one: extended tummy tuck + waist/lateral thigh lift + buttock lift (with the option of buttock augmentation). A physical exam would be needed to make any recommendations. Please visit with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery to learn more about your options.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Massive weight loss

produces classic results and you are living through them.  If you have plateaued, it is unlikely you will lose much more.  However, if you are able to lose more weight after your procedures, you will have some increased laxity and looseness.  As for no trace of your 'rhino days', you are trading all of your laxity for scars and the scars can be impressive and are lifelong.  Most people who have accomplished what you did simply want the tightest contours they can achieve.  Best wishes!

Curtis Wong, MD