How long is recovery for tummy tuck, implant removal & replaced and lift done same day?

My implants are 30yrs and leaking silicone, need all that removed and replaced with new silicone implant, a breast lift, and a tummy tuck, I'm scheduled for surgery in 13 days, I am 61 yrs old , stomach has operation scars and saggy skin, weight 125, 5'6" ht I'm worried how long recovery takes and how painful it will be. Kindly give your opinions. Thank you, JWolf aka 3cat night

Recovery after multiple procedures

Thank you for your question.  The tummy tuck recovery will be more difficult than the breasts.  You should be able to drive a car in about a week and start exercise in about three weeks. Of course everyone is different but those are good estimates.  Good luck!

Tummy tuck recovery

Your recovery will be determined by your tummy tuck and not your breast; a mini tuck requires 10 days and a full requires 2 to 3 weeks; Please see examples below to determine recovery period.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Recovery for mommy makeover

That's a pretty big surgery at any age, especially at age 60+.  I would definitely consider an overnight stay at a facility where you could be monitored.

Generally it is a few weeks before patients feel comfortable walking long distances and 4-6 weeks before they resume more strenuous exercise.  

Good luck with your surgery!

Brent Moelleken, MD

Recovery after mommy makeover for 61 year-old with leaking silicone implants.

Thank you for your question.  Recovery time for a tummy tuck and replacement of implants can vary from patient to patient.  As my colleges have stated depending on multiple factors such as general health history and was the abdominal muscle repaired.  Generally speaking if you sit at a desk and are sedentary you should be able to go back to work within about 2 weeks.  If your job is a little more physically demanding it could take between 4 to 6 weeks depending on the type of work that you do.  Pain is subjective, therefore I can not say just how much pain you will be in although the majority of my patients seem to tolerate these procedures well.  Make sure to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and also be sure to follow his/her protocol.

Dr. Hisham Seify

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

There is no simple answer since one person's definition of recovery will differ from another.  I would tell you that in my opinion the first 2 to 4 weeks will be most crucial although physical restrictions will probably be required for at least six weeks or possibly longer.  Spend some time with your selected surgeon to review the postoperative course so that there are no surprises for you.  Keep in mind that each person is different and some make an amazingly speedy recovery and others take longer.  Good luck and best wishes and please enjoy your results.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Recovery from the tummy tuck

will take the longest and be the most uncomfortable.  If muscles are tightened, even more so with a longer recovery.  Without muscles, most patients can do basic things in 1-2 weeks.  With muscle, you're looking at being down and out from 2-4 weeks... and this is with restrictions.

Curtis Wong, MD

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Anywhere from 4-6 weeks before you are back to normal strenuous activities and heavy lifting.  You can likely return to work after 2 weeks.  Discuss with your surgeon.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

How long is recovery for tummy tuck, implant removal & replaced and lift done same day

I think it will take a minimum of 4 weeks, and likely more like 6 weeks before you are back to completely normal level of activity

Julio Garcia, MD

Recovery time following a tummy tuck and removal and replacement of breast implants varies from patient to patient and depends on multiple factors: how extensive the procedures are, whether the abdominal muscle was repaired, your general medical history,  and your individual ability to heal. It also depends on your type of work. Following a tummy tuck, most patients are able to work at home during the first week and resume returning to work at a sedentary job in 1-2 weeks. However, in a patient with a strenuous job requiring heavy lifting, I would recommend waiting 4-6 weeks.

You should discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon, who should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS), that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.  It is important to follow all of his or her instructions.

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

This is not a simple question as it depends on what you mean by "recovery". In general it can be pretty sore for a few days but when certain activities can be initiated depends on the specifics of what is being done. It seems to me this would be a great question for your doctor since he/she knows your physical state and the details of the surgery.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD