How long after Mommy makeover can you resume physical activity?

I am active duty military intetested im undergoing a Mommy makeover (TT & Implants). As you may/may not know there is a physical fitness test every six months we must complete. This test consists of pushups, sit-ups and a mile and a half run. How long after surgery would I need to heal before attempting to train for this fitness test?

Back to work after mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Thank you for serving the country.
  • I strongly suggest that you have your mommy make-over shortly after a physical fitness test.
  • This will give you the maximum recovery from the surgery which can be 2 months until you can work out.
  • Then you will have 4 months to get ready for the next fitness test.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

Muscle strength

Your tummy tuck will likely be the limiting factor.The muscle repair takes nearly 6 weeks to maximize healing strength.Exercising too early can stress the repair and cause weakness.Protect the investment.

William C. Rigano, MD
Dayton Plastic Surgeon

Physical activity after surgery

Most patients are able to resume normal activities at around 6 weeks, depending on the extent of the surgery.  It is best to start slowly and increase intensity of activities gradually.  You may want to include some buffer time before your physical fitness test to ensure that you have enough time to build the endurance needed.

Camille Cash, MD

You can resume strenuous activities 6 weeks following surgery. The Mommy Makeover procedure typically includes a breast augmentation, breast lift, tummy tuck, liposuction, and a butt lift.

German Newall, MD

Return to activity after mommy makeover.

Depending on which operations makeup the mommy makeover the returned activity will be graduated. Early ambulation is encouraged. More exaggerated physical activity will be permitted is convalescence progresses. Most patients are back to full athletic activity in about six weeks.

You would need at least 6 weeks before resuming strenuous activity.

Postoperative Recovery Expectations After Mommy Makeover

Thank you for your question and thank you for your military service.

You can expect to hold off for 6 weeks after surgery before resuming strenuous physical activity. You wouldn't want to compromise your result by resuming activity too quickly.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Wait 6 weeks after tummy tuck for fitness training

A full tummy tuck usually includes a muscle repair, which takes 6 weeks to heal before it can be stressed. You will want to ramp up your activity level cautiously at first.

Richard Baxter, MD

Mommy Makover

I have a steadfast rule of 6 weeks of no heavy lifting or exercise after surgery especially as much surgery as a mommy makeover.  There are many reasons.  1- To have the scars heal as scarlessly as possible. 2- To cause no damage that will require surgery to fix it. 3- After as much surgery as a mommy makeover I prefer to be as cautious as possible.

MMO

I usually recommend to wait 4-6 weeks particularly because of the TT portion of the procedure. 

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon