Should I do Liposuction first and then proceed with Tummy Tuck later in time? (photo)

I'm contemplating if I should do lipo first and then proceed with TT later in time. I work out everyday so I am pretty fit but due to pregnancy I have that pouch that just won't go away. I need suggestions please. Thank you in advance.

Lipo first, or both lipo and a TT together?

For the patient that does not have an undue large amount of belly fat, the tummy tuck with liposuction is fine.  However, for the person with a large amount of fat over the abdomen, a reduction  in the fat layer allows the ultimate skin removal to be tighter and better contoured.  Your picture suggests that a one stage procedure is preferred in your situation.  Best wishes.

Should I proceed with liposuction first and then tummy tuck later in time?

Hello! Thank you for your question! These two procedures can safely and effectively be performed in one setting, given you are healthy and without medical comorbidities to prevent such. Staging the procedures to have them done at various times will likely not have any cost benefit for you. When you combine procedures, there is often a discount that is provided by the surgeon for multiple procedures. Also, when having multiple procedures performed at the same time, you save on anesthesia and facility fees, which otherwise are paid for with each individual procedure. In addition, you may benefit by the single recovery time. However, more importantly than the financial aspect, your plastic surgeon will have to determine for you if the viability of the abdominal tissue may be placed at jeopardy if done at the same time. If for this reason, it would be wise to stage these procedures.  Given your photo, liposuction alone may give you the result you desire - only an examination and discussion of your expectations would tell. 

Certainly it is your decision as to whether you have your procedures performed in one or multiple stages, but your surgeon will give his/her recommendations. Consult with a plastic surgeon well-versed in body contouring surgery who will discuss and examine you, while assisting you to decide which procedure will be the best option for you. I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon and see what your options are - sometimes multiple consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons is helpful for you to decide. Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Liposuction Or Tummy Tuck - Which Comes First?

There are many ways to interpret your question as exemplified by the various answers to your perceived questions by the RealSelf Board Certified experts.

As I understand your question, and based on the photograph you provided, if you were my patient, I would suggest a tummy tuck first which would take care of the majority of the fat, tighten the skin, and correct the rectus diastasis simultaneously. 

Because almost all my patients live in Hawaii, and most of the tummy tuck patients want to get back into a bikini with little to no loose skin, liposuction in your case would be a poor alternative to a tummy tuck.  Since you work out everyday, I would assume the majority of your abdominal pouch to be loose skin and separated muscle (rectus diastasis), this area would improve minimally from liposuction.  Also, the thickness of the residual fat in the upper portion of your abdomen is halved by stretching it all the way down to the pubic area. 

Therefore, tummy tuck first and doubtfully there will be any need for liposuction as a secondary procedure.

Tummy tuck and liposuction

Thanks for your question and photos.,
Usually it would be best to do the above procedures at the same time. 
This will avoid having additional scar tissues

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck or lipo

If you are not planning to have any more children, I would recommend going with the tummy tuck.  The lipo will probably not be of much benefit for you.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Liposuction of the abdomen should be done antecedent to an abdominoplasty only if it may eliminate the abdominoplasty as a surgi

It looks to me as though the best result would be from a formal abdominoplasty based on the photograph. However there would be significant improvement with liposuction it may be enough to make you happy. If the abdominoplasty is unavoidable in your opinion I would not preceding with suction of the abdomen.

Lipo and TT

Thank you for the picture.

Based on your picture, I believe that a tummy tuck with liposuction to the waist, lower back and fat grafting in to buttocks are the best combination to enhance your body shape. The cost can be between 4300- 5200.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction first and then tummy tuck later?

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to give you a proper answer based on your picture and a full exam would be needed to determine the best operation for you.  It does not appear that you have a lot of loose abdominal skin. If you are planning to have another child then I would only have liposuction at this time. I would recommend diet and exercise to allow you to get as close to your ideal body weight then seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Should I do Liposuction first and then proceed with Tummy Tuck later in time?

Fatest result is a TT with some liposuction. But over the internet very hard to advise. Seek IN PERSON opinions!!!! 

Liposuction after pregnancy

You should first really maximize your workouts with a trainer first. After your weight has stabilized, if you still have excess lower abdominal fat, I would recommend liposuction first. I would wait for at least 3 months to allow your abdomen to recover. It might be all you need. I have seen fitness competitors who had 3 children and were able to get their 6pack abdomen back with exercise alone. If you had a c section, you might have muscle dysfunction and may not be able to tighten your lower abdomen. In that case, abdominal wall repair and abdominoplasty might  be needed to achieve the result you want. 

Wesley G. Schooler, MD
Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon