Is Lipo possible for me with a small hernia above the belly button? (photos)

I would like to banish my stubborn fat plus bring out my curves. The problem is I have a small hernia at the top of my belly button. (I can push it in ) I don't have diastasis Recti or anything major like that as you can see my abs trying to peek out since ive been excersising. Is this possible for me to achieve my goal of a flat stomach with just lipo and a hernia repair Done at the same time with a plastic surgeon? I just want to avoid an ugly scar with a tummy tuck.

Lipo with Hernia

Thank you for submitting your question. Yes, a TT combined with a hernia repair it is done through the TT incision so there is no extra scar. 
Best of luck!Dr. Mentz

Is Lipo possible for me with a small hernia above the belly button?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Liposuction Safety with Hernia

Hello 'sdmodel101', thanks for your question. In general, liposuction is not recommended near any hernias due to risk of perforation.  However, a hernia repair done at the same time as liposuction elsewhere on your abdomen could be a valid option. Based on your photos though, I suspect you do have some abdominal wall laxity +/- intra-abdominal fat that may not lead to a completely flat stomach if only liposuction is performed. You could do this first with the caveat that you may need a tummy tuck in the future if you are not happy with the result.  Be sure to get examined thoroughly by a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options and good luck!
-Dr.92660

Yes, Lipo is possible for me with a small hernia above the belly button

With microlipo techniques, liposculpture can be done with very low risks to the hernia and other internal organs.  In over 15,000 lipo cases over thirty years, I have never injured a hernia or other internal structures.  You should choose a highly trained board certified surgeon who has the experience and qualification to minimize any risks, including perforating a hernia sac.  The hernia, when the fat is removed can appear more noticeable after lipo, but the reduction of the surrounding volume more than makes up for that.Dr. Seare

William J. Seare, MD
Carlsbad Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and Umbilical Hernia

Hello,You can get abdominal liposuction with an umbilical hernia. If you chose to repair the hernia, it can also be done simultaneously.  It does not require another surgeon if you choose a ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeon that performs body contouring procedures regularly.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Thank you for inquiry. I think you would benefit greatly from a tummy tuck due to the fact that the liposuction will leave your abdominal skin "loose".  Your umbilical hernia can be repaired at the same time. Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon as always. Best wishes!

Mary Jo Wright, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction with an abominal hernia?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.Your photo strongly suggests that you need a tummy tuck - your muscles look widened and the skin is badly stretched. However - to answer your question about the hernia  - yes, liposuction can be done if there is a small hernia but it is more risky. Damage to the hernia from liposuction can lead to the need for emergency abdominal surgery. Be sure any liposuction is done by a  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

VASER Hi Definition Liposuction / Body Contouring with Fat Grafting WITH HERNIA

I do hi definition liposuction at the same time that my friend does the hernia repair. We get amazing outcomes and I suggest you see an expert who can do both together to get a fantastic result.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Liposuction and an umbilical hernia

Both of these procedures can be done simultaneously, but it is likely that a general surgeon will be addressing the hernia. So your plastic surgeon should coordinate with him or her to perform the procedures together. However, some plastic surgeons will want the hernia repaired prior to any liposuction procedure. If the hernia does not protrude much, some plastic surgeons would do the liposuction only, but it is best to have the hernia repaired to obtain the best result.

Liposuction with an Umbilical Hernia

It is possible to do liposuction with an umbilical hernia as long as you are careful not to penetrate the hernia sac. The hernia may indicate a significant amount of intraabdominal fat. This would need to be evaluated  before surgery to determine the amount of improvement you will get from the liposuction. It sounds as if the hernia is small. The smaller the hole, the more the hernia needs to be repaired to prevent trapping the bowel and cutting off its blood supply. You may, therefore, want to consider having the hernia fixed first or at the same time. Make sure you choose a board certified plastic surgeon with significant experience in the procedure, otherwise you may be significantly increasing your risks.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon