Is this line caused from a placement issue? (photos)

I was an A to begin asked for 800cc my right boob is perfect my left one not so much. A visble line which seems to be causing a double bubble. I am not in any pain and the nipples look perfectly even to me. The line was visble right after surgery. Post op 3 months

Breast implant deformities

Thanks for your photos.  Your implants are much too large for your frame, and you have double-bubble deformities of both breasts; the left is worse than the right.  

Knoxville Plastic Surgeon

Oversized implants

The crease that you see is your natural breast fold. The implants that you have chosen are so big that they can not naturally stretch your skin into a normal shape. The volume is so much that your natural breast crease has been violated and 1/3 of the implant is resting below the normal crease. There is no longer any natural support to your implants and your implants will almost certainly continue to descend making  your nipples appear higher and the distance from the nipple to the crease of the breast longer. I realize that many women want to have oversized breasts, but this is a classic case of the body just not being able to tolerate such a large size.

Wm. Todd Stoeckel, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Is this line caused from a placement issue?

The visible line in your left breast is due to your original inframammary fold. Results like yours occur when implants that are too large for your chest and breast dimensions are used for breast augmentation. The implants may continue to drop due to their weight. If revision surgery is desired, then you should consider downsizing. Thank you for sharing your photos and concerns. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Double Bubble

You got lucky with the right implant, at least for now.  It's already sitting low, and will continue to drop with those extra large implants. The left was just too small to accommodate the implant, and you have double bubble. This will not get better with time. You'll need at the very least bilateral capsulorrhaphy, possible with a mesh reinforcement. 

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Placement issue?

Thank you for your question. This is really a size issue. Your 800 cc product significantly exceeds your breast base width and its excessive size violates your natural inframammary crease. Your line is the remnant of your original inframamary crease plus the the extra vertical height of your implant. The less than optimal position of the implant will remain a problem. This can be discussed with your surgeon as to management options. Best of luck!

Bruce Landon, MD

Implant size and position not ideal for your anatomy.

Thank you for your question.  It seems that you have some significant alterations of your breast shape after your augmentation procedure.  First, I think that going from an A cup to an 800cc implant exceeds the capacity of your breast to adequately cover the implant.  Also, the size of the implant is so large that it was necessary to make room for the implant below your original breast crease (inframammary fold).  Unfortunately, your original breast crease is still visible as a "double bubble" deformity.  Finally, the lower position of the implant (bottoming out) actually causes a hollowing in the upper part of the breast where I assume you actually wanted more fullness...  This happens when surgeons, and patients believe that "bigger is better" and that large volume implants will automatically produce more fullness in the upper pole of the breast.  Sadly, this concept is actually incorrect.  A smaller implant placed higher within the breast (instead of below it) will produce a smaller but FULLER-looking breast just like Victoria's Secret models.  In my opinion, you would benefit from a total revision of your augmentation with more appropriate sized implants and a restoration of your normal breast architecture.  I wish you the best of luck with your outcome.

Matthew Baker, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation - do I have a double bubble?

Thank you for your question about your breast augmentation.
  • Your pictures suggest to me that you have three issues.
  • First your implants are too large for your chest - so they will tend to shift to make more space.
  • Second, the line under your left breast is likely to be from the lower border of the pectoral muscle
  • Third you have a double bubble on the left - the implant is moving below the crease to make more space.
  • Double bubbles won't cause pain -
  • But either now or later, whenever you realize you can't live with it, you need surgery to recreate the breast crease and, ideally, place smaller implants.
  • If you just have the crease recreated, the implant is likely to work through it again.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Double bubble

You have a double bubble because you tried to place an implant that was too large for your breast thus you have compromised your inframammary fold; The only way to correct this is to have your breast lifted and inframmary crease reinforced so that your nipples can be centered on your breast without jeapordizing your crease.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Unfortunately, you have a double bubble which is a problem where the original crease under the breast has been elevated by the implant from its anatomic position and the line you see is the original position of the crease.

This is in your case a consequence of implants that are too large.  Problems increase with the size of implants which is something that breast augmentation patients should be aware of.

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss a revision which will most likely require a smaller implant.

Ralph R. Garramone, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Double Bubble

Thank you for your question and photos. The implant does appear to be too large and also too low on that side which has compromised the fold. I recommend that you see a board certified Plastic Surgeon in person to discuss options for revision.

All the best