Do I need a lift to address asymmetry and deflation? (Photo)

I'm a 28 year old mother of 2. I currently wear a size 32DD in most brands. Since having children and breastfeeding, my breasts are lower, less full, and asymmetrical. I would like to get the fullness back and possibly reduce the size of my areola. My two biggest concerns are: scarring (if a lift is needed), and being too big, if I get implants. Please advise. Thank you.

Breast Lift Breast Implant Questions

Your breasts are not ideal candidates for augmentation alone because you have significant ptosis based on photographs. Similarly, an inappropriately small type of lift (circumareolar) would not be sufficient either, and has a potential for a number of unanticipated issues in a fuller, more ptotic breasts like yours. There is no such thing as 'internal tightening'; breast sagging is caused by a complex phenomenon that leads to loss of internal support and subsequent skin expansion.  Internal tightening cannot address this skin excess. 

You should know that women who have had surgery prioritize breast shape much more than breast scars, and that scaring is rarely the cause of re-operation. Find a surgeon who does complex lift/augmentations all the time and look at his photos.  Certification by the ABPS and membership with ASAPS are important criteria too. 

Do You Need A #BreastLift

Unfortunately, the only way to correct your asymmetry and lift your breasts to a more youthful position is with a breast lift. A conservative implant with this procedure normally gives the best results. Implants alone will only make the breasts heavier and descend over time. Almost every woman is concerned with a scar before surgery, but I have been happy to find that very few have an issue with it after the procedure. 

You should see a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to get a formal opinion through an in-person consultation.

Best of luck, Vincent Marin, MD

Vincent P. Marin, MD

Breast Lift with or without implants

Your situation is quite common.  Especially the issues of scarring and/or becoming too large by having implants inserted.  With a full uplift (anchor incision) more skin is removed and your areolae reduced and repositioned.  With this procedure you have the choice of placing a small implant or no implants at all (discuss the benefits of implants with your surgeon though).  With a limited uplift or Benelli mastopexy only small amounts of skin are removed and a large implant would be necessary to restore the fullness and enhance your shape. The implant must be adequately sized to "take up" the loose skin.  Give careful thought to each choice and certainly review photos with your chosen doctor to help you to make the decision. 

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Do I need a lift to address asymmetry and deflation

Thank you for your question.  You are  a great candidate for a breast lift with implants.  Make sure you select an implant size that you will be happy with.  Review many before and after photos to review scars.  In general the shape of the breast will trump the scars.  Scars will be less noticeable with time.  Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon.  Best Wishes.

Do I need a lift to address asymmetry and deflation?

Based on your photos you are a great candidate for a breast lift with or without implants (up to you dependent on how big or small you'd like your breasts to be). Implants alone will not lift your breasts they will just add volume. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Lift with Implants

It looks like you would get the best result from a breast lift with some small implants. The lift will elevate your breasts to give you a perkier, more youthful appearance, and the implants will provide you with increased fullness in the upper pole and a rounder shape. This procedure will leave behind some scars since it includes a lift, but the majority of women find these scars a very small price to pay for their new breasts. I suggest scheduling a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your preferences and options. Best regards.

Jaime Perez, MD

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

A breast lift is a procedure that removes excess skin of the breast and moves the nipple areolar complex (NAC) upward to a new position on the chest wall. It does not remove the NAC, so theoretically all feeling, sensation, blood supply and the ability to breast feed is maintained. The operation will make the breast more "perky", reduce the size of the areola (the color around the nipple) if needed, and make the breasts more symmetrical in size and shape. All women's breasts are shaped differently, therefore there are many different types of breast lift procedures available to choose from:

1. Concentric or donut mastopexy (incision only around the NAC)
  2. Vertical incision, balloon or lollipop mastopexy (incision around the NAC and and a vertical incision running straight down from the 6:00 position of the areola)
  3. Anchor incision mastopexy (incision around the NAC, vertical incision and a horizontal incision all the way under the breast in the crease)
  4. Any of the above incision choices combined with a breast implant (saline or silicone, above or below the muscle)
  5. Breast implant alone, above the muscle, preferably silicone, used to fill up loose skin only, no skin is removed
The choice will depend on the consultation performed with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and the wishes and desires of the patient. Some people are more tolerant of scars than others. Some patients are looking for volume only and some are looking for shape only. Detailed measurements need to be made, photographs taken and evaluation of hundreds of before and after pictures of other women who have had similar type procedures and who's body build is similar.

A breast lift procedure can be performed as an outpatient under a general or sedation type anesthetic. The blood loss is minimal and the recovery time is about one week. It is not a particularly painful procedure, however, when and implant is added, the recovery and post operative pain is more substantial. The price will vary from city to city and which type of lift, but typical prices will range between $4,900 and $10,000 american dollars.

A final decision should be based on the feedback from your in person consultation. Based on the information presented I would recommend the following :

A lollipop mastopexy.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Based on your photos, you will need a breast lift to address both your asymmetry and ptosis (droop).  You can opt to do a lift alone but you will lack some upper pole fullness.  I would advise against doing implants without a lift as this will increase your volume but it will not give you a youthful result.  Your breast tissue would look like it was sliding off the implant, giving you a "Snoopy" look which is sub-optimal.  Most women are concerned about breast lift scars but most of the time, they heal very well and I'm often told that the trade off (scars) are worth the great improvement in breast shape and symmetry.  If you do not want to be much larger, a minor reduction of your natural tissue can be done at the same time.  This advice does not substitute for an in-depth, in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck to you.

Michael Brucker, MD

Firstly I would ask if you are happy with the size of your breasts in a bra?  This will give you the best indication of whether you should have a mastopexy vs augmentation mastopexy.  If you are satisfied with the size/volume in a bra, then I would suggest a breast lift to improve your shape and position of the breast.  However, if you would like to have more volume I would suggest an augmentation mastopexy.  Unfortunately breast implants alone are unlikely to give you a satisfactory result.  

Eddie Cheng, MBBS, FRACS
Brisbane Plastic Surgeon

Do I need a breast lift? (Photo)

From information you provide Joy, fullness can be restored and areola size reduced by mastopexy (breast lift), but the procedure cannot be accomplished in 2015 without visible scar.  Minimizing visibility of the scar is a critical part of planning, execution, and post-surgical care.  Our approach to scar control is comprehensive and the closure usually heals well, so the lifted breast position, increased fullness, and more youthful shape is nice enough improvement to offset the disadvantage of a fading scar.  Still, sometimes, office scar revision is indicated.  Implants are optional.  Will increase your size in proportion to the size of the implants, and also introduce the possibility of additional implant related problems (capsular contracture, etc.).

You can make the decision after trying implants on to see what they would look like on you, and after considering the impact of larger breasts on your lifestyle.

Steve Laverson, MD