Looking into Labiaplasty. Any suggestions? (photos)

Have always had this and have used a cream before to help with the elasticity of the skin as it is more of an issue of discomfort than looks. Now considering labiaplasty as I cannot sit or walk or put on clothing without having to adjust to alleviate pinching. Might as well make it pretty while I'm at it! What to do?

Candidate for Labiaplasty - What to Research

Candidates for #labiaplasty and #vaginal surgery include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals , or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations.  Moisture can create problems such as yeast infections. There is no one right solution for all patients, but there is a solution for every woman. The outcome of a Labiaplasty is a more youthful appearance, ability to wear all types of clothing without discomfort and/or embarrassment, and a more confident sex life. Take a look at the video attached here and some of the key points that you may want to research in looking for a plastic surgeon, and taking on the proper procedure to gain your desired results.

Labiaplasty and clitoral hood reduction

I reviewed your photos. Your labia minora and clitoral hood are very enlarged. A labiaplasty with a clitoral hood reduction can reduce your size.  However, it must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common labiaplasty techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks. It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed. If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced at the same time. Your clitoral hood is thick, wide, and protuberant.  It can be decreased somewhat by reducing the sides.  I pioneered a clitoropexy with clitoral hood reduction in which the clitoris is pushed closer to the pubic bone and the width, thickness, length, and protuberance of the clitoral hood can be decreased.  No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery. Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Thank you for your question and sharing your pictures. After reviewing your pictures you appear to be a good candidate for labiaplasty surgery. However, I would like to examine you in person before giving you my exact recommendations for the procedure. Labiaplasty is a very intricate and delicate procedure and should only be performed by a board certified plastic surgeon who has expertise in the procedure. So your next step should be to set up consultations with expert plastic surgeons to find out the best procedure for your needs. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Expert management of the clitoral hood is the key to your solution

You have a large clitoral hood in addition to elongated labia minora. This requires an expert level contouring procedure that goes beyond any basic techniques of wedge or trim. Look for an expert with a large experience and plenty of before and afters of their clitoral hood work. If the hood is not handled expertly, you will not be satisfied and will require a revision.

You are a great candidate for a labiaplasty. Most women want the most aesthetically beautiful genital area they can have, thus I created my technique of doing labiaplasty called the True Labiaplasty. I recently presented my technique at the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery.
There are many type of labiaplasty procedures. I personally prefer my method of doing labiaplasty procedures using a modified posterior wedge technique. It can give you very good symmetry of the labia, it looks the best aesthetically, and postoperatively they experience less pain in my experience. In addition, many patients have more satisfying sex since the sensitive thin delicate labial edges are left intact. You can learn more on the link below.  Details are on my website on the link below. Your concerns are exactly the reason why I developed my technique. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

"Different" anatomy with large prepucial fold- what is best procedure

As others have said, you are an excellent candidate for labiaplasty both to modify size for comfort purposes and "...make you pretty"  (but you are already pretty as you are!)  That said, for any woman- but ESPECIALLY WITH YOUR ANATOMY- I implore you to only work with a well-experienced genital plastic/aesthetic surgeon, one who can show you DOZENS of photos of cases (s)he has performed on patients with "different" and "difficult" anatomy. 
You DO have "different" anatomy, with the asymmetry and the very significantly enlarged prepucial fold on your right side ("...looks like 2 labia, but is actually a very large lateral hood/ "prepuce" fold.) With this anatomy, it, in my opinion, is crucial that you visit only surgeons who are skilled at BOTH "Y" modification of V-Wedge as well as curvilinear resection (no"trim here!) and are trained to perform BOTH procedures, so as best to DESIGN surgery specifically for your anatomy; this is not a time for "cookie cutter" surgery. Dr. Gary Alter in LA does a beautiful wedge, as do I up in Northern CA (we do similar procedures.) A "V-Y wedge" would well incorporate the redundancy you experience on the right side. You may find a surgeon in San Diego, but don't be afraid to travel to get the right surgeon and the right price. The weblink will show you many "before & afters;" there is a wealth of educational info on the site; **check my most recent Blog for a description of the differences between V-wedge & linear labiaplasties.
Very best wishes,
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

You could have a marked improvement in symmetry

with labiaplasty and hood reduction.  Seek experienced surgeons with decent revision policies and ask who will do your procedure in the office under local as that will save you considerably.  Make sure you communicate your expectations to your surgeon and know what happens if your goals are not met.  And your surgeon should be able to discuss the pros and cons of both the trim and the wedge methods to allow you to make the best choice for yourself.

Curtis Wong, MD

Excellent Labiaplasty Candidate

You're an excellent candidate for labiaplasty, but looks also matter. If you have a trim done by the local GYN you'll be left with a "small penis" as it has been described to me by women with your anatomy (a prominent clitoral hood) who have had amputations done by their local gynecologist.Sorry that you've had the symptoms you've had. The extended wedge with hood reduction is the way to go. It will remove the extra fold on the right side which is called a labia reduplication. Find an expert and take your time. Don't be afraid to travel! It's much better to only do this once!

Considering labiaplasty

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy).  Based upon your photos, your anatomy is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter.  Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Thank you for the question and photos. It appears you have extra skin folds of your labia causing the discomfort. You look like you are a good candidate for a labiaplasty that will remove the excess skin and improve the appearance of your labia.Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in this area who can help you. Good luck!Dr. Khuthaila

Dana Khuthaila, MD, FACS