Does my labia look normal? Do I need surgery? (Photos)

I've always thought it could possibly be larger than normal. Is this the case? Do I need surgery?

Normal but...

Thank you for sharing.   Yes, your labia anatomy is absolutely normal but if the overall appearance of your labias bother you or you find discomfort when wearing tight clothing or during intercourse then you would be a solid candidate for a labiaplasty.  This would decrease and reduce the size of your labias and make them more flushed to the labia majora.

Best of luck

Your labia is normal

and most guys really don't have major concerns about what it may look like down there and they are just happy to be there.  But if you want a less full look, you can achieve that with labia reduction (aka labiaplasty) with possible hood reduction, depending on what your expectations are.  Find an experienced surgeon with verified good outcomes and schedule a consult to find out the specifics of what you can achieve and learn about what a wedge versus trim technique will do for you and choose the best for yourself.

Curtis Wong, MD

Labiaplasty

Your labia minora are enlarged but not massively enlarged. It must be performed by a surgeon with experience. One of the two most common techniques is the central wedge technique, which I invented in 1995 and published in the plastic surgery textbooks.  It is also known as the "V" or wedge technique. Gynecologists and most plastic surgeons perform a labioplasty very differently. They essentially trim the labia minora (inner vaginal lips) and leave a long suture line instead of the normal labial edge. Their technique is the same whether a scalpel or a laser is used. In contrast, the central wedge removes triangles of tissue and bring the normal edges together. Thus, the normal labial edges, normal color, and normal anatomy are preserved, but the darkest labial tissue is usually removed.  If you have extra tissue on your clitoral hood, it can be reduced it at the same time. No matter the technique, an inexperienced or unskilled surgeon can lead to a high rate of complications, chronic scar discomfort, labial deformities, and further surgery.

Gary J. Alter, M.D.
Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NY

Gary J. Alter, MD

Are my labia "normal?" Do I NEED a labiaplasty?!?

YES, your labia look "normal!" And, YES, they are "robust" in size. "Bother" you? Get them reduced. If no "bother; do nothing, & glory in your sensuality and Uniqueness. (You don't "need," but you may "want") HOWEVER (!!) if you do decide to have surgery to reduce size (aka "labiaplasty"), READ THIS PLEASE:

Look around this site and you will see hundreds of posts from women who just went to their "general gynecologist" for their labiaplasety either because this was the only place they knew to go ("...say... can you do this...") or because (s)he was "cheapest" and then are BOTCHED or MUTILATED and have to pay for their mistake for the rest of their lives...

Looking at your photos, I am not certain whether you would best be served by a curvilinear/trim or a V-wedge modification technique; that can only be determined by a more thorough exam. The only way to tell is for you to visit a very experienced cosmetic Gyn or plastic surgeon who is skilled and savvy in BOTH TECHNIQUES so that you and (s)he can pick the procedure that fits you best. My recommendation is to ONLY see someone who can show you at least 25-50 "before and after" pics of their work, who performs his/her surgery under "local" anesthesia (safer and cheaper), and has superlative recommendations. **You may have to travel. Ask me or the very experienced surgeons on this site: we all have patients from all over the country & abroad come to us: those women who research extensively, and seek the best. You will not be "botched" by a multi-talented, very experienced surgeon. Do your homework if you end up desiring reduction and sculpting your labia. The weblink and other areas of this website will get you "on the road." And, best wishes!

Michael P Goodman, MD

Davis, CA, USA

Labiaplsty or not

Dear Question4U:

I agree with most surgeons on this board "this is a personal decision" as you are the one who needs to determine whether or not you want to pursue surgery for your labia.   No one needs labia reduction surgery this is a woman choice.  That being said if you pursue a labia reduction surgery I would highly encourage you to choose a surgeon wisely  and choose a surgeon with experience, expertise, great reputation and one who achieves great results.   Just don't go to your local gyn or plastic surgeon , you need to see someone who does these surgery routinely and gets great results.

Don't let distance and $ interfere with your decision. Almost every day on this site we see patients who are disappointed or devastated with their decision.  

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Does your labia look normal?

There is a trend to have less prominent labia, but this is a matter of choice and there are no medical reasons to do so other than improving your appearance down there. Candidates for a Labiaplasty procedure are women who are concerned about the appearance of their labia or experience discomfort due to exceptionally large or long labia of either the inner our outer lips. Labia unevenness can result in discomfort with intimate contact, chronic rubbing, as well as psychological discomfort, which leads to the inability to wear certain types of tight clothing. Most women live with these symptoms, and actually are not even aware that a certain surgical procedure exists to help to correct this problem and restore their femininity.

Labia

Thank you for your question.  From the photo you submitted your labia minora is a little elongated.  You would be a good candidate for a labiaplasty.  Schedule a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your concerns.  Best Wishes

Labiaplasty: A Personal Decision

Thank you for your question and sharing your photographs. Labiaplasty is a cosmetic procedure that may improve one's confidence and resolve physical issues that one may have with enlarged labia minora.  Clitoral hood reduction may also be indicated depending on the findings on physical examination. Labiaplasty with and without clitoral hood reduction is a personal decision after being well educated on the benefits and risks.  There are several techniques, which should be discussed with you by the surgeon.   In my practice, I discuss this with my patients in order to educate them on their cosmetic issue, the surgical options and possible outcomes so that they can make an educated decision. I would recommend finding an experienced genital surgeon, which include Cosmetic Urologists, even if it involves traveling.  

Best of luck.

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Normal Labia?

Hi.. There is no one shape or size that is "normal" for the labia.  Yours are full but well within what is typical.  The decision to have labiaplasty is usually based on something that the woman wants changed.  It may be that she just likes the look of smaller labia or it could be that bulkier labia bother her in her swimsuit or workout outfit.  There are many reasons why women choose to have labiaplasty but almost all are "normal" even before the procedure.  The best option is to speak with an experienced labiaplasty surgeon to review your options and your concerns.  Good luck!
Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

Does my labia look normal? Do I need surgery?

Thank you for sharing your questions and photographs.  There is a very wide variation in the appearance of a woman's anatomy and yours is well within normal.  The decision to pursue any elective procedure is a personal one and will depend on what type of improvement you are trying to obtain.  Some patients elect to reduce their overall size and projection of their labia minora and clitoral hood tissue, achieve an improved symmetry, or prevent some functional limitation.  Be sure to see a labiaplasty surgeon in consultation to maximize your results.