Implants removed were full of air. They are 800cc implants that were filled to 850cc. Is this normal? What happened? (photo)

I had my implants removed to get larger ones because I hardly saw a difference with my first surgery. And when my new surgeon removed them they were mostly air filled and had much less saline then they were supposed to have. 

Breast Implants Filled with Air

This is very interesting, but I can not come up with a reasonable explanation.  Some air that is left in the implants do diffuse out over time.  When a rupture happens, the saline that is in there will leak out and absorb and there is a little bit of air in the implant when it is removed at time of surgery.  That however does not seem to be the case here.  Unless your implants that were removed were placed very recently (weeks ago), the air phenomenon is difficult to explain.

Unusual breast implants findings…

Thank you for the question and pictures. What you are describing and demonstrating is very unusual.  Online consultants can only speculate as to why the breast implants are mostly filled with air, as opposed to saline. Generally speaking, in the event of a saline breast implant leakage, the implant shell collapses and does not retain its "structure" as your breast implants seem to have. Again, very hard to know exactly what caused the situation.

Best wishes for an outcome (after your recent revisionary breast surgery) that you will be very pleased with.

Saline implants lost fluid but gained air

is really not plausible... unless there was gas producing bacteria in there.  If the implants were filled with water, they would have simply gone done in size no air.  Saline filler is osmotically equal to what your body is so there is no fluid shift. And if the implant was intentionally filled with air, it would be presumed that it would dissipate throught he shell and be resorbed by your body.  Was this done by your original surgeon?  And if so, what is his/her explanation?

Curtis Wong, MD

Implants filled with air

Saline implants can be theoretically filled with air or water although universally they are filled with water; in breast reconstruction we utilize expanders that are much like saline implants and more surgeons are starting to fill these with air; your original surgeon likely is a fan of filling his/her implants with air.

Arian Mowlavi, MD