I hate my new implants and feel like even if they shrink 50% they will still be too big for me. Any suggestions? (photos)

I think my PS did a fantasy job, and my complaint isn't about the shape or position, but rather the size. I felt as though I adaquately explained that I didn't want "big boobs" and I liked my body with small boobs, I just wanted to fill them up (after three kids). I think his idea of big and mine are very different. How long should I wait to have them removed? Could I just have smaller implants put in sometime soon?

Breast Augmentation, Swelling post op

Thank you for your question.   I'm sorry that you are not happy with your results.  It is however very soon to tell what your final outcome will be.  I would suggest waiting at least 6 months before you decide to redo your breasts.  A lot of changes can occur between now and 6 months, after the swelling goes down and they settle you may like your result.

Dr. Peter Newen

I hate my new implants and feel like even if they shrink 50% they will still be too big for me. Any suggestions?

You are very early in the healing process. Your implants will continue to settle and swelling will subside. Wait at least 3 months before deciding to change your implants.

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Breast Augmentation - Post Op Swelling

Thank you for your question. You are still very early in the post-operative period. It typically takes 3 - 6 months for the swelling to subside and and implants to settle into proper position. Swelling usually accounts for 10 - 15% of the initial post-operative appearance. The implants may swell asymmetrically, as in your case, but usually settle evenly. If after waiting six months you feel they are still too large, then you may proceed with revision surgery. Please discuss your concerns with your board certified plastic surgeon. Also, make sure you follow all of your plastic surgeons post-operative instructions regarding level of physical activity and use of a support bra. Hope this helps and good luck with your recovery.

Implants seem too large

I'm sorry you aren't feeling good about your breast size after your surgery.

My experience is that patients sometime think they are "too large" immediately after surgery. I think this is caused by a few factors. These include swelling after surgery, a higher position on the chest wall initially, and not being acclimated mentally to a significant size change.

As these factors resolve, it is not unusual to have a patient who initially thought they were too large, later feel that "I could have gone a little larger," 

Yet I've really not had a patient feel like they wanted the final result to be less than half the size of their initial impression. This is a very big difference.

Some clues to your situation might be found in method of fitting that was used to determine the implant used. If you were fitted using implants inside your bra, and the surgeon used an implant that was just a modest amount larger than the size you chose, I think it is likely that you will feel your end result is fine.

Sometimes, a larger implant is required to fill out skin laxity and breast atrophy without the aid of a breast lift but this is part of a preoperative consultation.

I know it is difficult, but I would suggest good communication with your surgeon and waiting until your results are mature before moving to another surgery.

I really do think that later you will not think your breasts are as large as you think they are now. Whether this will be satisfactory to you size-wise should be determined then.

Good luck!

Frederick K. Park, MD
Rocky Mount Plastic Surgeon

Sorry to hear about your concerns. I recommend addressing this issue with your plastic surgeon. He or she will be your best resource with regard to timing for revision surgery. In some cases where the breasts have deflated significantly after nursing, volume of smaller implants will not be enough to address breast skin laxity and atrophy without combining the breast augmentation with a lift. Thank you for sharing your photo and questions. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Not unusual to feel implants are too larger after surgery

It is not unusual to feel that you implants are too large right after surgery; If you want to evaluate your implants and size, you need to wait three months until all of the swelling is gone.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Big breast implants... when should I do a change?

I am sorry that you are having issues about your procedure and thanks for sharing your question. I can appreciate your concern.

You had a beautiful result. however, your desires for moderation in size may have resulted in the need for an additional lift, to compensate for the lack of breast fullness. this is just an assumption since there are no preoperative pictures. 

have an open discussion with your plastic surgeon. give some time and reassess your perception in 3 to 6 months time.

Wishing you the best in your journey

Implant size

I am sorry to hear that you aren't happy with your result at this point.  You are very early in the healing process and there is an acclimation period that occurs both mentally and physically.  I would give it time.  Time is often the most difficult thing to ask of a patient but jumping in and making a change too early is a mistake.  Give yourself time to recover from the surgery and stay in communication with your surgeon through the waiting period so that you can both come to a conclusion that best suits you and your desires.  I am again sorry that your expectations were not met and wish you the best of luck through this process.

Daniel Kolder, MD
Camarillo Plastic Surgeon

I am sorry that you are not pleased with your results.
Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to an accurate assessment of your situation, advice, predictions, and/or meaningful reassurance.

I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.
From the physiological standpoint, it takes many months ( and even up to one year) to see the final results of surgery. factors such as swelling, tissue contraction, skin redraping, implant shifting etc. come into play.
Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with long-term.

Too Large

It's too early to judge their appearance. When breast implants are first put into your body, they typically sit higher up in the chest. This is because it’s the path of least resistance – your body requires some time to adjust to their presence, regardless of whether they’ve been placed in a sub-mammary (between breast tissue and chest muscle) or sub-muscular (under both the breast and chest muscle). Immediately following surgery, you’ll find that your newly enhanced breasts appear very full and swollen, especially in the upper portion above the nipples. Your skin will most likely look very tight and your nipples may point slightly downward as well. This may make the shape and overall appearance of your breasts appear unnatural. Don’t worry, because they will change for the better, something casually known as “dropping and fluffing”.

Should you still be concerned after 2-4 months, I'd recommend booking a follow-up appointment with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options.

All the best.