I have what I would consider tuberous breasts. Unhappy with the appearance but OK with the size of my right breast? (Photos)

I was wondering if it would be possible to just enlarge the left breast without enlarging the right? Also, with the severity of the deformity, is there any hope to improve the appearance of my breast without implants? Are expansion techniques recommended? Ive also arranged a consultation with a doctor who seems to have a lot more experience with tuberous breasts but would appreciate any and all advice.

I have what I would consider tuberous breasts. Unhappy with the appearance.

While I believe that you have some degree of constriction of the lower pole of your breasts, particularly on the left side, I would not qualify your problem as classic tuberous breasts.  You do have moderate size asymmetry however, I think the bigger consideration the droopiness or ptosis of the nipple position.  I would recommend a mastopexy/breast lift to correct the ptosis which will also have the added effect of improving the appearance of the constriction.  Small implants would be desirable to create more upper pole fullness and a youthful look.  I would probably lean towards reducing the larger breast to achieve volume symmetry plus or minus putting in the same size implants.  Hope this helps.

Tuberous breasts

Your breasts are indeed tuberous.  The best way to correct them would be to perform a lift, called a mastopexy.  You can have small implants placed at the time of surgery, or just perform the lift only.  You can always add implants later if you think you are not large enough.  The problem with the lift only in your case is that your breasts will end up smaller than you anticipate.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Tuberous & Assymetrical Breasts May Benefit from a Mastopexy

Those with #TuberousBreasts are ideal candidates for #BreastLifts. Also, women with asymmetric or enlarged nipples or areolae (pigmented areas around nipples) also may be candidates for a breast lift or a modification of a lift. #Asymmetric breast can be adjusted by adding or removing volume. One side can be tightened more or less than another. In addition #BreastImplants commonly complement a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) . Such is called #AugmentationMastopexy.

Tuberous Breasts or #tuberous breast deformity are breasts with an unusual shape. They may be very narrow at the base on the chest, or the whole breast can be very narrow in shape. There are different variations of #TuberousBreasts but is a growth and development problem which may create a great deal of angst for a young woman.

Without the Breast Lift, the breasts may appear larger and more droopy with solely implants. They will sag more and sooner, due to the sudden and excess weight. It's also possible for a “Snoopy” breast or double bubble to develop as a result. The implant with lift can also re-position the nipples which may have been affected by ptosis or drooping. One of the primary intentions of a Breast Lift (#Mastopexy) is to improve the shape and position of the breast without reducing their size. It is used especially for breasts which sag or droop (#ptosis). Both procedures are commonly done together, in the same surgery to correct the effects sagging and turberous breasts.

I have what I would consider tuberous breasts. Unhappy with the appearance but OK with the size of my right breast?

Based on your photos you have breast ptosis. I would recommend a breast lift with or without an implant depending on what your goals are. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

I have what I would consider tuberous breasts. Unhappy with the appearance but okay with the size of my right breast?

Thank you for your question and your photos.Tuberous breasts present in different degrees of severity.3 hallmark features of tuberous breasts include enlarged areolas, herniation of breast tissue through the areola, and a constricted base.It is not clear to me from your photographs whether or not you do actually have tuberous breasts.I recommend that you discuss your particular circumstances during an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.Good luck.

Changing Breast Appearance

Thank you for your question and photos. It appears that you could benefit from a lift which would resize/position the areolas and improve the shape of the breasts. If you do not wish to increase size this could likely be done without implants but silicone cohesive implants are very helpful for reshaping the breasts as well. I recommend that you talk with your Plastic Surgeon about these options.

All the best

Breast Asymmetry and "Tuberous" Appearance

You do not appear to have tuberous breasts but, instead, just ptosis (droop). Since you like the size on one side, all you need on that side is a lift. The other side will need a lift plus a small implant to add enough volume to match the other side. Make sure whoever you are seeing is a board certified plastic surgeon with experience in mastopexy and treating breast asymmetry, not tuberous breast augmentation.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and pictures.
Based on your picture, It seems that you have significant  breast ptosis (sagging) and would benefit from breast lifting plus or minus breast augmentation surgery. I cannot appreciate tuberous breasts features in your case.
Because you are not interested in breast implants, I suggest meeting with a well experienced plastic surgeon who can show you lots of examples of breast lifting surgery and discuss how your breast shape will be improved with this surgery. Expansion techniques are not necessary.
I hope this, and the attached link, helps.