What can happen if I have my breast augmentation surgery but haven't quit smoking?

Hi I am having my breast augmentation surgery in a couple days. I know my surgeon asked me to at least quit smoking 6 weeks before surgery, it was hard to quit but I did cut down. Will I have any complication during surgery?

Breast Augmentation

When I meet with my patients i am very clear about smoking. The patients must stop for 4 weeks prior and 4 weeks after surgery. The risks of not properly healing are too great. I ask my patients to be completely honest about the cessation of smoking.

Paramus Plastic Surgeon

It is very important that you tell your surgeon that you have not been able to quit smoking.  It is really important that your surgeon understand and know this and he or she will guide you to the best course to follow.  Smoking cannot only interfere with proper healing but also can create anesthesia problems.

Breast Augmentation & Smoking

Smoking cigarettes is not only bad for your health. It will definitely interfere with your body's ability to heal post surgery, increasing your risk of serious complications and infection. Frankly, it is not worth it. If you can not quit smoking prior to surgery then cancel your surgery. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Smoking and surgery risks..

Thank you for your question. By continuing to smoke you are putting yourself at risk for delayed healing, infection ,increased scarring and death of skin and tissue. Please inform your Doctor that you did not completely stop smoking.

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Smoking

You need to let your surgeon know that you are still smoking. It would be best to postpone your surgery until you have stopped. Otherwise, you will have more risks of not healing well and infections. You are investing a lot of money in your appearance and want to get the best results.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Smoking will impair the body's ability to heal tissue and defend against infections. Anytime you are putting a prosthetic device in the body, their are microorganisms that can attach to the surface of these implants and cause infections. If your are smoking, you only increase your chance of developing an infection or problems with the incision. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Smoking and breast augmentation

Smoking, as we all know, is generally not good for your health. For surgery in which there is the necessity for wound healing, there is some evidence that smokers  may encounter difficulty in wound healing. It's also been my observation after many years of doing breast augmentations, that smokers have a much higher incidence of capsular contracture than non-smokers. Discuss this with your chosen plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation - what if I don't stop smoking

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.
  • We can't predict the future for certain -
  • But we do know certain increase the risk of a surgical complication.
  • Smoking increases your risk - it makes you more likely to have an infection and more likely to heal poorly.
  • If you can possible stop smoking even for a few days before and after, every little bit helps.
  • And please use this surgery to quit permanently -
  • Smoking is one of the worst things we can do to ourselves - 
  • Please quit every day - if you buy a pack, smoke a cigarette and throw out the rest immediately.
  • If you keep quitting, you will find in the end that you have quit.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Smoking and breast augmentation

It is not possible to predict if you will have complications or not, but since you kept smoking you will surely have an increased risk of them, particularly of wound healing problems and infection.
Cosmetic surgery is elective in nature, and it should be performed taking the lowest possible amount of risks. You should discuss this with your surgeon, and maybe reschedule the procedure.

Ciro Adamo, PhD, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Smoking before breast augmentation

Hi,

Smoking before and after any surgery, is not recommended. The more surgery, the more smoking, the greater the risks. If you are playing an 'odds' game, you should be fine for a simple breast augmentation. The problem is that if you are not a 'winner' the loss can be 'severe'.

Dr. Michael J. Brown
Northern Virginia Plastic Surgeon