Should I start looking for hair loss treatment or just wait until I can get a hair transplant surgery?

I'm currently a 20 year old male experiencing hair loss. Should I start looking for hair loss treatment or just wait until I can get a hair transplant surgery?

Hair loss at a young age

If you feel you are losing your hair at an early age you should consult with a hair restoration physician to discuss your options.   Your consult should include an exam of the hair and scalp including a microscopic evaluation looking for miniaturization as well as obtaining your family history of male members with hair loss.  Starting a hair loss medication versus getting only a hair transplant has to do with your future pattern of baldness. Your family pattern and microscopic evaluation can help determine where you are heading with respect to your hair loss. If hair loss is indeed due to androgenic alopecia (the most common type), it is best to start on an oral or topical medication as soon as possible to keep the hair you have.  So, in answer to your question….do not wait. 

Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair Loss Management

It is best to catch hair loss early so it is best to see a reputable hair loss surgeon at the first sign of hair loss. There are various options for medical management to keep the hair you have and prevent further loss that your physician can review with you before you are ready to go though with a hair transplant. 

Amir Yazdan, MD
Irvine Hair Restoration Surgeon

Stop your hair loss right now!

Dear friend,

It is very important to stop hair loss right away. It is unfortunate but most of the times we don't realize we are balding until we already lost half of our hair. The sooner you start a treatment to stop your hair from thinning and falling the better. I will recommend a hair transplant based on a one on one consultation. 

There are plenty of options to stop hair loss. PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) is one great option. This procedure consists on getting some of your blood and putting it in a machine that will separate the different ingredients that are in the blood. From those ingredients we take the growth factors and inject them in your scalp. These growth factors will start working in your follicles enhancing your hair and reducing (and even stopping) the rate of your hair loss. If your follicles have not been dormant for too long the hair can regrow. We are here to help you look and feel good.  Best of lucks!

William Yates, MD
Chicago Hair Restoration Surgeon

20 Year Old with Hair Loss

Seeing a full-time board certified experienced hair restoration specialist or dermatologist with an interest in treating hair loss is important to gain an understanding of your current and future hair loss. Developing a global approach to combat your hair loss and retain as much as possible is important. Medical rather than a surgical approach is much more important at your age.

Brian Goertz, MD
Seattle Hair Restoration Surgeon

20 year old

Early hair loss at your age should be analyzed. Your biggest enemy is the progressive thinning leading to a balding pattern that is not evident at this point in time. The degree of thinning that you are experiencing would suggest that you should see a doctor who most likely will get Bulk Measurements of your hair to determine the degree of the thinning that you are presently having. If the diagnosis is early genetic hair loss (the most common cause of hair loss in young men), then the best treatment would be the drug finasteride which is highly effective in men of your age and may not only stop the hair loss but possibly reverse it. If you are developing a more advanced balding pattern the HAIRCHECK test will determine the Bulk Measurements of your hair and put a number on that hair loss (a metric) and this will show, over a one-year time frame, how effective the treatment will be. Once you know this information, then you and your doctor need to develop a MASTER PLAN which will define what you need to do over the years to come.

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Getting to the Bottom of It--Seeking Hair Loss Treatment: PRP and Progesterone

I suggest seeing a hair loss expert to evaluate and go over your condition and provide you information about your best treatment options. There are great non-invasive options like PRP/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

When to Start Treatment

Don't be so fatalistic. Baldness is optional for most people. You need a diagnosis but assuming the cause is male genetic alopecia, you should start immediately. IMO, the starting point is PRP because it has the highest chance of working and is completely safe. Minoxidil is effective in about 30% of men, and other therapies such as LLLT and vitamin supplements are likely helpful but no where near as beneficial as PRP. There are oral medications as well but at your age I would stay away from them as in some cases they can affect libido. .   

Jay Goldstein, MD
Freehold Physician

Hair loss at ayounger age

it is better to get advise from a hair restoration specialist. Since hair loss is progressive, it is best to find the cause and get recommendation on expectations and treatment options. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thanks for your query. The sooner you start, the better it is. You can start taking multi vitamins for hair and use minoxidil for a while and then continue with non minoxidil lotions for hair re growth. It holds the hair, prevent hair loss and stimulate hair re growth. So you should visit dermatologist and get it started as soon as possible. Hope it helps.

All The Best

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon

Hair loss at age 20 - should I look for treatment or just wait for surgery ?

This is a great question. I can't emphasize enough the importance of sitting down with a physician to specializes in hair loss to discuss options. Hair loss that starts before age 30 in men tends to have a higher chance of more advanced patterns of hair loss down the road. Medical treatment can help keep existing hairs from miniaturizing and being lost - or at least slow down the process. 

Yes, a hair transplant can be done and it likely will be helpful in the mid to late 20s. But a hair transplant does not help the existing hair. Those are susceptible to being lost without medical treatment. 

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist