Would I have good results with chin lipo or do I also need a platsymaplasty? (Photo)

I want my chin necl and face to stay looking young but i am frustrated because i have developed what appears to be a double chin though i was advised i need a platsymaplasty by one doctor but i am still unsure. Looking for insight. I would like to have a more defined chin and jawline that looks youthful

Liposuction for excessive fat under the chin

I would typically treat you with submental (under the chin) liposuction under local anesthesia.  The procedure cost is $1500.  It typically takes about 45 minutes and requires a single 1/4" incision beneath the chin.

Although platysmaplasty may be performed, that would not be my recommendation because:

1. You appear to be young, so it is unlikely that you have a significant degree of platysmal laxity.

2. Platysmaplasty is significantly more expensive.

3. Platysmaplasty requires a significantly longer incision.

Plano Plastic Surgeon

Double chin - platysmaplasty - liposuction - corsettplasty

thank you for posting your pictures. In order to assess the platysma, an anterior animated view of your neck would be needed. But often patient benefit from an anterior platysmaplasty combined with liposuction and / or lipoectomy to create a nice defined cervicofacial angle. The procedure is very well tolerated, and does not cause a lot of pain. A anterior platysmaplasty combined with liposuction and/or lipoectomy is a very powerful procedure regarding its result. In addition you do not burn any bridges by having had this done, since it is often part of a necklift (which might be an option at a later stage in your life).  

I hope this helped!

Best wishes

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Lipo with possible plat

Thanks for sharing a good question.  The platysma muscle is deeper to the subcutaneous fat.  As we age this platysma muscle splays apart and adds to the looseness in the neck.  I am not sure how old you are and that would help answer the question.  The liposuction can be performed and the surgeon can take a peek inside and see if the platyma is separated and needs suturing.  Its not obvious on these photos that it is needed. An examination in person is warranted to make this decision.  Consult with a few board certified facial plastic surgeons to review your candidacy. 

Raymond E. Lee, MD

No need for platysmaplasty

you don't need platysmaplasty to get the results you want.  Review the before/after photos of surgeons who don't do plastysmaplasty and see if you like the results (make sure each before/after photo shows three views-front/quarter turn and profile- from each patient).

Andre Aboolian, MD

Platysma plasty with a neck lift

The decision for a platysma plasty is usually made at the time of examination and consultation. Lipouction in the neck can accomplish removing fatty deposits in that area. A platysma plasty tightness the platysma muscle  to  give a sharper definition to the jawline. For more information and many examples, please see the link  and the video below

Chin Lipo and Submentoplasty

I think you are on the right track as far as which procedure(s) will give you the most natural improvement in your appearance. From a liposuction standpoint, there are basically two ways to remove fat from under the chin. One is to make a very tiny incision under the chin and use a suction tube to blindly remove the fat. This has the benefit of a very small incision, but the big disadvantage of not being able to visualize and touch/examine the underlying muscle (platysma). This underlying platysma muscle sometimes needs to be tightened, and the only way to do this is to use a slightly larger incision under the chin so that access to the muscle can occur (the incision heals wonderfully and should not be seen after healing). After being examined, if the muscle is loose/droopy, then a few internal stitches can be placed to tighten it upwards. That would guarantee maximum result.
In my opinion this is the best way to approach most all patients who have concerns similar to yours. It does take some extra work on the part of the surgeon, but it is well worth it. As we do in our Center, it is very reasonable to have this procedure safely performed under local anesthesia with some mild sedation in an office setting. Best, Doc L.

Paul Lanfranchi, DO, FAOCO
Las Vegas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction under chin with possible platysmaplasty

In my opinion, liposuction under your chin alone should be able to provide you with a more defined neck line.  I do not believe a platysmaplasty would be of benefit to you.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo of the Chin Should Do It

In my experience Smartlipo of the chin and neck area is a terrific procedure for someone with your anatomy and youth.  It will give you a much more defined jawline and mandibular angle - which I think is what you are probably looking for.
A platysmaplasty is a major operation which I do as part of a facelift on some patients, but in your case I think it is absolutely too much surgery and unnecessary.
As for the idea of a chin implant, that is a possibility, but the photos you have sent are not really great for evaluating your chin projection.  The profile needs to be viewed at a particularly neutral angle to answer the question.
I have a blog from last year that may help explain my position.  I hope you will read it below.
Good Luck!

Thomas P. Sterry, MD

Chin lipo vs. platysmaplasty

Based on the pictures you sent, I don't see a need for platysmaplasty.  However, the best way to determine this is during physical examination.  A good way to see for yourself whether you have prominent platysma bands and subplatysmal fat (fat under the platysma which you wouldn't be able to get to simply with lipo) is to look in the mirror and perform an exaggerated smile clenching down with your teeth.  This will contract your platysma.  By holding on to the fullness under your chin and doing this maneuver, you will be able to see if it's subplatysmal or not.  If the fullness stays, it can be taken out with lipo as its above the platysma.  If it goes away, then it's being hidden by contracting platysma and its subplatysmal.  I hope this helps.  Either way, you are young and achieving a defined jawline while getting you the outcome you want should be conceivable.  Best of luck.  

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would I have good results with chin lipo or do I also need a platsymaplasty?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years. From the photos, your chin is weak. A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

Your cheeks appear to be a bit flat in the front. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face. Liposuction and or removal of excess skin from under the chin can be performed at the same time.

Hope this helps.