One side of my labia is a lot longer than the other and at times causes irritation, would I be a good candidate for labiaplasty?

I am a virgin and am extremely embarrassed of the way my vagina looks

Labia: Wide Variation of Normal

Thank you for your question and photograph.  Please do not be embarrassed!  There is a wide variation of "normal" of the labia.  If you have a concern, I would recommend consultation with an experienced genital surgeon for evaluation, discussion of goals, and a review of the treatment options even if that requires traveling.   

Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Labiaplasty

Most likely you are a candidate for a labiaplasty. Most women want the most aesthetically beautiful genital area they can have, thus I created my technique of doing labiaplasty called the True Labiaplasty. I recently presented my technique at the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery.

There are many types of labiaplasty procedures. I personally prefer my method of doing labiaplasty procedures using a modified posterior wedge technique. It can give you very good symmetry of the labia and it excises excess tissue around the clitoris (i.e. prepuce and clitoral hood) when needed.

It looks the best aesthetically, and postoperatively patients experience less pain, in my experience. In addition, many patients have more satisfying sex since the sensitive thin delicate labial edges are left intact. You can learn more on the link below.  Details are on my website on the link below. Your concerns are exactly the reason why I developed my technique. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Embarassing large labia

Hello Angie,

Thank you for your post with photo. Yes, of course you'd be a good candidate for Labiaplasty, but it looks like you may also benefit from clitoral hood reduction. This would be determined at the time of your consultation.

We've helped women from across the country with aesthetic concerns regarding their labia and vagina, many of which have been virgins and even young teenagers. You do not have to wait till you are finished having children, especially since this condition has such a huge impact on your self-esteem and ability to engage in intimate relationships. Please do your research well and make sure your surgeon is an experienced cosmetic vaginal surgeon. See link below additional information in choosing the best surgeon for you.

Dr. Aguirre

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Aguirre Specialty Care - Pelvic Surgery & Intimate Aesthetics®

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Asymmetric Labia

You should never be embarrassed by the way you look! It is important to realize that there is a vast range of what is deemed as "normal" for labial appearance. It is very common for one labia minora to be larger than its contralateral counterpart. If this is something that bothers you, then a labiaplasty would be a way to correct this. My advice is to seek a board certified plastic surgeon who performs many of these procedures and is well versed in this procedure.  

Good candidte for a labiaplasty?

HI angie,

I think that you would be a good candidate for a labiaplasty. I do not think that you are abnormal in any way. Many women have a labia that is longer on one side. Try to make sure that any surgeon you choose has done a lot of these procedures. Ask to see before and after pictures and be sure to communicate your goals. 

Best Wishes,

Dr. Christine Rodgers

Good candidate for labiaplasty?

Your story and concerns are in good company with almost ever other patient that undergoes labiaplasty and/or clitoral hood reduction (aka hoodectomy).  Based upon your photos, your anatomy is very typical of someone who seriously considers having these procedures and experiences a major boost in (sexual) self-confidence and pleasure thereafter.  In a multi-center peer reviewed study I was involved in back in 2009, 98% of labiaplasty patients were satisfied with their results and had an improved sexual experience post-operatively.  

Labiaplasty, which most commonly involves surgical reduction of the labia minora (inner/thinner lips) but not infrequently trimming or tucking of the labia majora (outer/thicker lips), has become a relatively common procedure over the last ten and even more so last five years.  Most commonly it is done under light sedation (aka twighlight sleep) with local anesthesia, in which case the patient should feel no pain during the operation.  Whether the surgery is done using a laser, scalpel, or scissors does not really matter but what does matter is "symmetry".  Symmetry is the most important aspect to the final aesthetic result.  Most women, just like yourself, prefer to have as much of the darker pigmented edges removed as possible.  Also, it's not how much tissue is removed but how much is left remaining because a certain amount is necessary to maintain proper form and function - typically ~10 mm or so of the dry part of the labia.  To achieve these three most important elements, I have found that the "Trim Method" satisfies best.  It is extremely important to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon that specializes in this operation (does at least 1 - 2 per week).  It may cost you a bit more but it is this type of result you will want to live with for the rest of your life.  Typical (all inclusive) fee at my office/surgery center is $4500.
Although there is no guarantee, women frequently do seek clitoral hood reduction (Hoodectomy) to improve exposure of the clitoris and hence better stimulation during sexual activity. By removing some of the excess &/or redundant skin concealing the clitoris, it becomes more readily exposed to sexual stimulation and hence a heightened sexual experience/orgasm is possible.  Sometimes I recommend adding hoodectomy to labiaplasty to better harmonize the aesthetic outcome.  Again, the key is seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist who performs this procedure regularly (>2-3 x/month) so that just the right amount of tissue is removed and just the right amount remains such that the clitoris is not constantly exposed and rubbing on clothing, etc... Typical fee for a hoodectomy is ~$3000 but reduced to about half that price if done along with a labiaplasty.
Now for recovery, because the labia tissue is so robust with blood supply it has an amazing ability to heal relatively quickly.  Most patients are sore for 4-5 days before things start to get a lot better from there.  Some patients can resume work before this time depending upon their occupation.  No exercise for two weeks, no baths/jacuzzi or swimming for 3 weeks, and no sexual activity for typically 4 weeks.  My patients are given an oral pain medication such as Vicodin or Percocet but icing the area for the first 48 hours and applying some custom  made take-home topical local anesthetic cream seems to work the best.  Glad to help.

Ryan Stanton, MD

Your vagina is normal

and you should never feel embarrassed by it... be confident and it will all work out fine.  But do you have extra labia that could be diminished?  Absolutely!  But make sure it is the cause of your irritation so that the procedure will help you.  Select your surgeon wisely and make sure you communicate what you desire so your surgeon can do his/her best to help you get the result you want.

Curtis Wong, MD

Labia Asymmetry and Labiaplasty

It is no unusual for one of the labia to be longer than the other. Depending on the length of the shorter one, some patients choose to have just one reduced, and others choose to have both reduced. This is something to discuss with your surgeon. Most important is to find a board certified plastic surgeon or gynecologist experience in labiaplasty surgery and with good before-and-after photos.

For more information, click on the link below.

All the best.

Heather J. Furnas, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty and hood reduction would suit you well

Labiaplasty is an excellent option for asymmetrical labia. You can have the long one or both treated if you wish.

Labia rubbing and asymmetric

You are an excellent candidate for labiaplasty which will even out your vaginal lips and reduce both of them; this will provide both aesthetically improved look as well as functional improvement for you. This procedure can be done under local or general anesthesia.

Arian Mowlavi, MD