Is there a way I can find out if I'm allergic to facial fillers before I get them ?

I'm allergic to many things, alcohol, shellfish/seafood, lactose intolerant and allergic to nickel, I was thinking of getting lip fillers, botox and cheek fillers but I don't want to have an allergic reaction. What's my best option ??

Allergic Reactions to Hyaluronic Acid Fillers

It is extremely rare to have an allergic reaction to an HA fillers. I have never seen it in my 15 plus years of using HA fillers. If you are a healthy person with no medical history that contradicts HA treatment and no history of allergies than you are a candidate for HA fillers.Having said that, I have done HA skin tests several times on patients who have special circumstances. For example, I hae a patient who had a history of one anaphylactic shock during her usual run outdoor. It was never discovered why she had this allergic reaction and she  carried with her an epi pen the last 10 years without a recurrence. I did 2 skin tests one month apart for this patient which both turned out to be negative before deciding that HA treatment would be safe for her.

Corona Del Mar Physician

Very rare.

HA fillers are exactly the same as the HA in your own body and so are very unlikely to cause an allergic reaction. Needless to say, however, that anaphylaxis is a serious concern. I agree that a small test patch on the arm in a proper medical facility is the way to go. If there are no problems then you can try a treatment dose.Hope that helps.

Test patch on the arm

Yes, however for the sake of safety, this should always be done with a Specialist or allergist. Type 1 reactions - ie. bad- breathing difficulties, anaphylaxis etc... are vvvv rare with HA fillers, however they can occur, so if you are getting a test patch (I usually do mine on the arm), make sure there are res. facilities. Type 4 allergies can also occur. You do need to discuss in great detail the risks of fillers IF this your major concern. To date I have only seen one type 4 filler reaction to Juvederm Volift, and not to the other Juvederm families on testing. HA fillers like Juvederm, Restylane, Belotero and Perlane are one of the safest fillers on the market. All the best, Dr Davin Lim. Brisbane. Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist