My eyes have always had this sunken look. It's much worse now with age. What would be the best treatment for hollow eyes?(Photo)

Least costly & invasive preferably

Doctor Answers 7

There are many options to address hollowness and sunken eyes

I'm just like you in that I usually look for the least costly and least invasive options first when making recommendations for people.  Having said that, and after looking at your picture, I would say you appear to be a relatively young lady to undergo an invasive surgical procedure to address your eyes.  The main thrust of any treatment you undergo should be to restore volume in your lower orbits, or eye socket region.  The easiest, most economical, safest, and most effective option would be to have a temporary hyaluronic acid filler injected.  Hyaluronic acid is a clear gelatinous substance that is actually found in our tissues, so it isn't foreign to our bodies.  The fillers are prepared in a lab, and there is no animal source to cause reactions.  There are many options in that category of fillers, some are better than others for this specific purpose, as some tend to get puffier after injection, while others are more stable and less likely to result in contour irregularities.  Another thing to consider when discussing fillers is how they are injected.  This area of the face has a lot of blood vessels, and some injection techniques bear a higher risk of bruising, pain, swelling, and rarely, injection into blood vessels which can lead to blindness.  For these reasons, I have transitioned to using a cannula technique as opposed to sharp needles when injecting these fillers.  A cannula is a very fine hollow tube which is blunt on the end instead of sharp like a needle, and this is why it poses less risk in my opinion.  The procedure itself is very quick, and there is very little pain, if any.  We can always use anesthetic to numb the area if need be.  The filler can be expected to last about a year in this area.  If you find that you like the effect of injected volume here, a more permanent option is to do the same thing with your own fat that was done with the filler, namely turn it into a graft and inject it through a cannula along the orbit to restore volume.  This can now be done simply in an office procedure room, and it has the potential to be permanent as opposed to going away in a year.  I hope this answers your question.  Best of luck!

San Diego Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 87 reviews

Volume loss under eyes

You would do great with fillers- the type of filler will vary, i would do a combination of voluma with belotero. 

Other options would be to do facial fat transfer. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 90 reviews

My eyes have always had this sunken look. It's much worse now with age. What would be the best treatment for hollow eyes?

Restylane or fat grafting to that area done in expert fashion will produce a favorable result.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

Beverly Hills, CA

Kenneth B. Hughes, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 496 reviews

What would be the best treatment for hollow eyes? (Photo)

Least costly and invasive is hands down very carefully and skillfully performed augmentation behind those "hollows" with an off the shelf soft tissue filler such as purified hyaluronic acid.  Brands include Juvederm (Allergan), Restylane (Galderma), and Belotero (Merz Pharmaceuticals).  My technique involves minimal if any discomfort (local anesthesia) and surgical magnification for precision.  Results are usually quite good and long lasting.

Steve Laverson, MD
San Diego Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 47 reviews

My eyes have always had this sunken look. It's much worse now with age. What would be the best treatment for hollow eyes?

There are various treatment options available for under eye hollowness, each with pros and cons.  Options include filler injection, fat injection, or tear trough implant. See an oculoplastic specialist.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

My eyes have always had this sunken look. It's much worse now with age. What would be the best treatment for hollow eyes?

Most expert experienced artistic plastic surgeons have a variety of procedures, both non-surgical and surgical, at their disposal to produce excellent cosmetic results in the appropriately selected patient: temporary hyaluronic acid fillers like Restylane, long-lasting micro-fat grafts, and blepharoplasties. There is no one best procedure. Each has benefits and drawbacks and depends on desired outcome and individual anatomy.

Temporary fillers are a reasonable approach for a patient with your particular anatomy and age.

Following the advice of anyone who would presume to tell you what to do without seeing photos and without taking a full medical history, examining you, feeling and assessing your tissue tone, discussing your desired outcome and fully informing you about the pros and cons of each option would not be in your best interest. Find a plastic surgeon that you are comfortable with and one that you trust and listen to his or her advice. The surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS). You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla,California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 19 reviews

Drawn face

Many surgeons will treat you with fat grafting to disguise the sunken look.

Perhaps better would be to find a surgeon who lifts the mid-face as part of a lower blepharoplasty procedure.

Douglas McGeorge, MBChB
Liverpool Plastic Surgeon
3.4 out of 5 stars 5 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.