Please use your experience with women of my stats to give helpful answers. (Photo)

My surgeon (board certified & highly recommended) did NOT take any measurements but gave me a range he felt comfortable w 375-500 I am 5'9 155# athletic build not a small ribcage 34b small & perky. looking 4 fullness & like the "fake high pole look" w/out being overly large as I do high intense workouts. Doing HP round silicone 425cc under. Concers: will my new breasts touch naturally? 2 large to workout hard? 2 small 2 notice? Seeking support using this forum of doctors. Plz be helpful thanku

Implant size selection?

From your photos you look like a patient who should have a high likelihood of success with an aesthetic outcome for breast augmentation.  Enhancement of your naturally good shape should turn out nicely.  I think measurements in my practice early of importance when somebody's attempting to place an extremely large implant for their chest wall when the diameter of the implant may surpass the natural with of your breast.  Assuming you are not seeking an overly large augmentation I think the range of implants that your surgeon has suggested are reasonable and likely to be successful.  My preference is to use sizer implants during the procedure when I can see the actual size, shape and contour of the result.  This allows me to have a size and shape goal set forehead with the patient and use my aesthetic judgment to achieve as close to the ideal result as possible.  Allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her judgment to get the best result for you combining both volume as well as shape.  Good luck and enjoy your results.  In the end I think your cleavage will be very nice since it appears to be very natural to begin with.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Breast augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. You are a great candidate for a breast augmentation.  The size, profile, and shape of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon.  This entire surgery can be performed with a small incision technique.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Breast Implants / Breast Augmentation / Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants / Silicone Implants / Breast Implant Revision Surgery

Thank you for your question. Before you make your final decision on size and shape of implants I would suggest that you meet again with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon again and go over your concerns and why you feel a specific implant would give you the results you desire. Your surgeon should be able to explain to you why they are recommending the size they are according to your current breast measurements including your chest width and your desired outcome.  Your Surgeon should be able to advise you thoroughly on your options. We have all our Breast Augmentation patients not only utilize our 3D imaging so they can get a real visual on what the implants will look like on them but also to actually try on the different size implants with a tight bra and t-shirt to see what they might expect. That way they have a good visual of what a 450cc implant will do as opposed to a 350cc implant for example. You want to make sure that you see a surgeon that will listen to you and your goals for the procedure and discuss in detail their recommendation for size and shape not only taking into consideration your desired outcome but also your breast measurements before the procedure including your chest dimensions. And then let you try the implants that they feel will give you the desired result so you are in agreement with the size.

Mark Schoemann, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size

Thank you for your question, because breast size and implant size is a common concern. In my practice, I listen to what the patient wants, and then we look at pictures of models so that the patient can show me exactly what she wants to look like when she has healed. In the operating room, I will place sizers in the new breast pockets, and fill them to the point matching the model the patient has chosen. Then I know exactly how many CCs the implants need to be. The profile of the implant, meaning the width and projection of the implant, is based on the patient's measurements (breast base). So, while the implant you mentioned may be ideal, I would suggest that you communicate as well as you can with your surgeon; show him pictures of what you desire. Show him pictures of breasts you like and also a picture or two of models slightly too small and slightly too big. It will then be your surgeon's job to get you the result you desire.

Thanks again!

William H. Gorman, MD

BA

A HP round at that size should give you the right look you're going for.  The most critical measurement for me is the base width, as I do not like putting in too wide of implants and widening the chest look, which makes women seem too wide/bulky.  Your cleavage will be improved, but your breasts should not touch in the midline.  They can come closer, but it is unnatural for breasts to touch in the middle (unless wearing a bra, which is different), so hopefully that is not what you're going for, and I encourage you to not confuse the two.  You should still have a great result, without them touching.  Size-wise, they are going to be pretty big, so working out will be different but should still be ok.  I can't say how hard it will be, but they definitely will not be two small to notice.  

Cain R. Linville, MD

Please use your experience with women of my stats to give helpful answers

Based on your height, weight, photo and athletic build, I think that the starting volume range is appropriate.  The high profile 425cc implant should give a full, augmented and attractive appearance. Your breast bone does not appear too wide, so you you should have nice cleavage, but they may not touch naturally. Good luck!

Keith Hodge, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Best breast implants for me?

Thank you for the question. Based on your photographs, I think that you are starting at a good place and should have a very nice outcome with breast augmentation surgery. Online consultants will not be of much specific help to;  nothing replaces in-person evaluation (careful measurements,bra sizers  and computer imaging) are very helpful in this process.  Careful consideration of your active lifestyle ( intense workouts) will be important as well.  Keep in mind,  comparing yourself to other women with your stats will not necessarily be helpful; you would be amazed at how same breast implants on your torso can lead to very different outcomes.

Again, ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, in bra sizers, and computer imaging) as well as careful measurements (dimensional planning) will be critical.

***Given that your surgery is coming up soon, I would suggest that you spend additional time communicating your goals/concerns directly with your plastic surgeon, preferably prior to the date of surgery.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "fake look" or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Not every surgeon takes measurements with augmentation consultations

but its helpful to know when implants get larger.  There is nothing natural about implants but your breasts should feel 'natural' unless squeezed very hard.  As for the size, you should visualize what you are going to look like by getting an unlined bra D cup or larger (it is only to hold your sizers) and use rice sizers (as it doesn't appear your surgeon employs sizers at all) to help you decide what size is best for you.  Whatever size you like, my general rule with my patients is to add 10% to the implants volume (350 cc sizer = 390 cc implant) to achieve the look they saw with the sizer in their bra.  In my experience, this has been quite accurate and is a very inexpensive way to 'see' what you will look like.  And use only light colored shirts over you bra/sizer to get the best idea of what you will look like.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast Implant Sizing

Your bra size, height, and weight are not helpful.  There are two potential competing sizes: one is your aesthetic goal, the other your anatomic capacity as determined by quick, but detailed measurements of your breasts.   Neither your aesthetic goal nor your anatomic capacity has been elucidated, however. To establish your aesthetic goal, you need to be sized in the mirror with a tight, unpadded bra. However, if the size of the potential implant as determined by your anatomic capacity is less than the one determined by your aesthetic goal, serious consideration should be made about increased risk of complications associated with using the oversized implant. As for your workouts, well no one can be certain how you'll feel with any implant size.  I hope your surgeon is a ABPS certified/ASAPS member who will utilize all the latest data to perform your surgery in a way to minimize complications, including use of inframammary incisions and placement of the implants using an implant delivery funnel. Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS