Should I email my doctor? I hate my nose (Photo)

Doctor gave me a rhinoplasty a year and a half ago. I hate it.. He injected it with a little kenalog to shrink scar tissue and it didn't do much. I had my follow up last week and he said "I'm not touching it, it looks great." It doesn't need more kenalog. He wouldn't give me room to give my opinion. I paid so much money to be even more insecure about my nose. It looks like a blob on my face. Should I send him an email? And what should I say? I feel like he's going to be rejecting anything I say.

Post op rhinoplasty

You may email your surgeon but I would make another appointment with your surgeon. This time alert his staff that you are dissatisfied with your result. Be sure to be very specific about what concerns you. Write it down. If you are still dissatisfied with the answers, I would seek a secondary opinion from another board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in nose surgery.

Consultation

If you are unhappy with your results, you should absolutely contact your physician and explain your concerns and the outcome you would like. If you are still unhappy with what he/she has to say, I recommend a second opinion. You would benefit greatly from a minimally invasive surgical procedure that requires little to no downtime, no visible incisions or scars, no packing, and no pain. You would achieve beautiful, natural looking results that I feel you would be very happy with. Please make sure to consult with a physician who has years of experience in facial cosmetic surgeries.

good luck!

H. George Brennan, MD, FACS
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

RHINOPLASTY RESULTS

More Kenlaog may not be a good idea. If you have specific concerns about the results and you would like to improve them, then discuss with your surgeon about that, and also check for a second opinion with an experienced Board Certified Plastic or Facial Plastic Surgeon who does have experience in secondary rhinoplasty, to check what can be done to improve your results.

Not happy with nasal shape?

I agree you nose lacks definition in some places and refinement in others; could you please provide us your preop photos so that we can try to figure out what can be corrected.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Not Happy With New Nose

Becky, I would recommend trying to email your surgeon to express your desire to possibly have some revisions done to the nose. The reality is that rhinoplasty is the most challenging operation to perform on a consistent basis. And it is well-known that revisions are something that may be required in some cases. If your surgeon does not feel comfortable or willing to do more work, perhaps you should consult with other revision rhinoplasty experts in your area. Best of luck. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dissatisfied after rhinoplasty

I am so sorry to hear you are unhappy with your rhinoplasty result! Usually kenalog can be used to help with swelling or local scar buildup but it is hard to say based on the pictures and the information you provided exactly where kenalog was injected. Revision rhinoplasty is a challenge for both patients and surgeons but meeting with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery is a great way to start. It is important your plastic surgeon understands exactly what you are unhappy with and whether or not there are ways to correct this. Best of luck, MMT

Dear beckybazzi, I agree with yoiur assessment on your nose especially the frontal view

Dear beckybazzi,  I must disagree with your surgeon that your nose looks "great." You have some issues that will need addressing with revision rhinoplasty. I would suggest that you request a copy of your operative report as well as a copy of your pre-operative photographs so that you can provide those to consulting surgeons so they will have a full understanding of what techniques and procedures were performed during your primary rhinoplasty. Patient satisfaction is of the utmost importance. Even if your surgeon thinks your nose looks "great" it only matters what you think and if you have a hard time discussing this in person then you should put together an email and make sure your words are read and your voice is heard. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD