8 weeks post-op. This morning I woke up with left breast pain. What are the early symptoms of capsular contracture? (photo)

I had breast augmentation 8 weeks ago and this morning I woke up with left breast pain I had saline under the muscle. My breast hurts when I make a movement with my left hand even when I bend down. It feels tight tender and sore on the top of my breast can it be capsular contracture? 

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

8 weeks after BA with pain on one side

Thank you for your question. It is a new development during your recovery. I recommend you see your PS for evaluation. It is unlikely a capsular contracture at this time.

Sudden onset not typical for capsular contracture

Capsular contracture typically has a slow onset over weeks to months, not overnight.  Your symptoms sound more like a muscle spasm.  Is there any increase in swelling or bruising?  I'd suggest calling your surgeon's office and asking to have it examined.

8 weeks post-op. This morning I woke up with left breast pain. What are the early symptoms of capsular contracture?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well, at the first 3 to 5 months, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 5 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra that will help you with the shape and support.

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Contracture?

Certainly this can be symptoms of a contracture but there are so many other things it could be also. You are pretty early out of surgery so scar is starting to form. You should go see your surgeon so they can check things and pinpoint what is going on. 

Sincerely,

DrRickAZ

Richard J. Brown, MD

Pain

Thank you for the question and at this early date it is very doubtful you are developing capsular contracture and it is more then likely muscle soreness or spasms.  If you have concerns though see your surgeon.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Postop Breast Pain

While capsular contracture is a possibility, it usually does not present as a sudden pain as you describe.  The pain can be caused by muscle spasm, but you should consult with your surgeon, as antiimflammatory meds may be all you need. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Capsular contracture

I  recommend that you see your plastic surgeon and see what his recommendations are. Normally if I'm concerned about capsular contracture early, I start my patients on singular. Best of luck

Breast pain 8 weeks postop

Pain 8 weeks after surgery could be capsular contracture or any number of things but you simply need to go back to your doctor for an immediate evaluation. If may be nothing and they can reassure you. Best of luck.