How do I know if the doctor performed liposuction for my Brachioplasty?

I got Brachioplasty but honestly I feel the same amount of fat. As if he just cut off the loose skin and sewed it back together and didn't do liposuction. And when I put my arms out there is still fat that "hangs" and when my arm is straight down I still have the "fat fold" over my elbow. I don't even see the a mark for liposuction but maybe it's done differently with Brachioplasty? Also, there's a lump around both sides of the end of the scar towards the elbow on my left arm. Fibrosis? Fluid?

Some doctors will liposuction based upon the amount of fat and blood supply considerations and aggressiveness of resection.  I would just ask your doctor.

Kenneth Hughes, MD

How to know if liposuction was performed during the course of my brachioplasty.

At the conclusion of your procedure your surgeon should have dictated an operative report. Details of your procedure will be included. Ask your surgeon to see a copy of the report.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction and arm lift - don't think surgeon did it right

Thank you for asking about your brachioplasty as liposuction.

• I am so sorry you are unsure about what your surgeon did.
  • The best way to find out is to ask for a copy of your operative report and ask your surgeon to explain what sh/e did.
  • Without before and after photos, one can't have any idea as to what the issues are.
  • You may still be swollen from surgery.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Concerns after arm lifting surgery…

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after arm lifting surgery. The best way to obtain an accurate answer regarding liposuction surgery would be to simply ask your plastic surgeon. If liposuctioning was done it will be reported in the operative report as well. There will not necessarily be a "mark"; liposuction surgery can be done through the arm lifting approach.

Based on your description it sounds like you may benefit from additional skin and tissue excision on both ends of the incision line. I have found, for example, that most patients would prefer to have a longer scar (down to the elbow) than the "lump" of tissue around the elbow area.

Discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon;  working together you should be able to come up with a plan to improve your outcome. Much will depend on exactly how far out of surgery you are currently. Best wishes.