Is there a difference/advantage in choosing between a plastic/facial plastic surgeon & an oculoplastic surgeon for a browlift?

Does the difference btwn the types of doctors really matter for browlifts or just for certain types of cases? Which kind of doctor would do more browlifts?

Brow lift candidate

There are many factors to look into when performing a brow lift. Choose a surgeon who performs them quite often and gets excellent results. In addition to choosing your surgeon, it's important to look at the current height of the eyebrows, asymmetry of the eyebrows, where the present hairline is, and whether or not any adjustments to the frontalis or corrugator muscles is required.

Does the difference between the types of doctors really matter for browlifts or just for certain types of cases?

Hi, I have performed many Brow Lifts over the past 30 years and there are numerous specialty surgeon groups that can perform a Brow Lift.  As a consumer, it's important for you to look for an Experienced Brow Lift Surgeon that has the proper aesthetic judgment with a good reputation.  Like everything in life, there are differences between surgeons.

Non smiling photos of your face from the front would help in the evaluation.  The vast majority of Brow Lifts are performed on Women to aesthetically raise the eyebrows creating more youthful, almond shaped eyes.  You will know when you are consulting with an experienced Brow Lift Surgeon who should be able to show you where, how and why your eyebrows should be elevated.  There is a well accepted method of evaluating the eyebrow position.  Lastly, when the eyebrows are quite low or asymmetric in their position, the Coronal Brow Lift remains the "gold standard" for Brow Lift procedures.  Lateral Brow Lifts, Endoscopic Brow Lifts and any other lift that relies on suspension techniques tend not to last and some prevent a Coronal Brow Lift from being done to properly lift the Brows.

Hope this helps.

Experience and results are the most important factors to consider

Hello.  Thank you for your question.  Plastic Surgeons, Facial Plastic Surgeons, and Oculoplastic Surgeons are all trained and qualified to perform brow lift procedures.  The most important factors to consider are the experience of the surgeon and the results that they achieve.  Most surgeons tend to focus their practice on particular areas of interest and expertise.  I would suggest that you seek a consultation with a board-certified surgeon in any of these specialties who has extensive experience and expertise in facial rejuvenation, specifically brow lift, so that they can assess your individual anatomy, concerns, and goals, in order to determine the best treatment plan for you.  Be sure to view their before and after pictures to assure that they produce the kind of results that you hope to achieve.  It is typically a good idea to get more than one opinion, and you will likely find a surgeon that you feel most comfortable with to perform your surgery.  I wish you the best in achieving your aesthetic goals.

Michael Boggess, MD
Nashville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Experience is most important rather than type of specialists

A brow lift procedure is one that is performed by Oculofacial Plastic surgeons (Oculoplastics), Facial Plastic Surgeons, and General Plastic surgeons. So your focus shouldn't necessarily be on what your surgeons specialty is. Rather, what you should focus on is your surgeon's specific experience with regards to brow lifting. There are at least 6 different types of brow lifting techniques that one can use, depending on the patient's anatomy, age, hairline, skin type. A hairline brow lift (trichophytic) endoscopic brow lift, temporal brow lift, and tran-blepharoplasty brow lift are the ones that I most commonly use to address a patient's specific cosmetic need. You should choose a surgeon that is experienced and comfortable with all this approaches because each can be used to address the patients specific anatomic need.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

EXPERIENCED BROWLIFT SURGEON

Dear Germshepard, While all specialities may perform browlift procedures it is like any other surgery expertise is key. I would suggest seeking consultation with many experts in the field and review there before and after photographs, have imaging performed to see the proposed changes and then make an informed decision. In my practice browlift procedures are one of the most rewarding procedures and patients have a very high level of satisfaction. The majority of my staff have had the procedure done due to its ability to provide the patient a natural yet very youthful looking appearance. See examples in the link below and video above. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Thanks for your very good question.  Most important for you to consider is the technique to be used and then of equal importance is the experience and reputation of your selected surgeon.  My preference is to generally recommend the prehairline browlift since the results are very long lasting and the incsion barely visible if properly designed. It has the added important advantage of not raising the hairline (a common problem with other procedures).   Meet with an experienced plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon to review photos and to discuss appropriate options for you.  Best wishes,

Jon A Perlman MD FACS 

Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery 

Extreme Makeover Surgeon ABC TV

Best of Los Angeles Award 2015, 2016 

Beverly Hills, Ca

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Various brow lift techniques; depends on experience

There is no difference as long as each has experience in performing brow lift. There are various techniques for brow lifts, each with pros and cons. The various techniques include pretrichial brow lift, endoscopic forehead lift, etc.  See following video for a minimally invasive lateral brow lift technique, ideal for female, which can be done under local anesthesia.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Selecting a Surgeon for My Brow Lift

While all specialists you mention may do brow lifts the most important consideration is experience with this procedure. Choose a surgeon who uses all brow lifting techniques. Consider the Irregular Trichophytic Hairline Incision Technique that we described many years ago. With this approach hairline position can be maintained or improved when necessary. All other techniques will elevate the hairline.

What kind of surgeon should do your brow lift?

What kind of surgeon should do your brow lift?  The short answer is a very good surgeon. The majority are brow lift are done by facial plastic surgeons or possibly general plastic surgeons. More importantly is the frequency with which your surgeon does these procedures and where your hairline is.  For more than 35 years since we developed the Irregular Trichophytic Browlift this procedure has been the " Gold standard" for brawl lifting and females with a high hairline. The hairline with  this procedure is not raised and can actually be reward at the same time the Brows are lifted.  And endoscopic four head live will raise the hairline so this is done for Caucasian women less than 10% of the time.  Look for a very experienced brow lift surgeon who can show you pictures of the hairline and his natural results.