Can you develop a hernia after tummy tuck? (Photo)

Can you develop a hernia after tummy tuck?

If you did not have a hernia prior to abdominoplasty, it is unlikely that you have developed a hernia after surgery. At the time of surgery you most likely had your rectus muscles sutured closer together to repair a diastasis recti (gap between your "six pack" muscles). If the sutures break before enough scar tissue forms to make the repair permanent, then the gap between the muscles can recur and a bulge can develop. I would follow up with your plastic surgeon to ensure that you did not have a hernia at the time of surgery. Thank you for sharing your photos and question. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Hernia after TT

Although it is possible it is very unlikely to develop hernia after well executed TT. It possible, however, that you had hernia before surgery but it was not detected either because of thick fat layer, lack of symptoms, poor clinical evaluation or all of the above.

You should discuss this with your plastic surgeon first and than have hernia repaired by a general surgeon. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Yes

Yes you can develop weakness and a hernia after a tummy tuck .  I would see your doctor and get a CT scan to rule out a hernia. 

Andrew T. Cohen, MD