Desperately seeking a nose job to shorten my nose and especially my nostrils. Any suggestions? (photos)

Will a nose job correct my large nostrils? Or am I forever doomed??

Reducing the nostrils

your nose is too long and pointed
the nostrils can be made to appear smaller by shortening the nose and changing the shape of the nostrils
this may require an open rhinoplasty to maximize the changes

A Weir resection of tissue might be considered as a secondary procedure at a later date 

The result that you desire can be achieved by deprojecting your tip, narrowing your tip, and narrowing your nostrils. The nostril narrowing is achieve by alar base resections.

Warren J. Katz, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty to shorten the nose

A full set of photographs are required to give a determination about what can and cannot be accomplished with a rhinoplasty procedure. From the one very limited photograph, the nose can be de-projected, a hanging columella can be reduced, and the dorsal hump can be shaved down. In addition, the tip and bridge can be refined and narrowed as well. If the width of the base of the nostrils is wide, and alar-plasty can be performed to narrow the base. For many examples of rhinoplasty, please see the link and the video below

Desperately seeking a nose job to shorten my nose and especially my nostrils. Any suggestions?

The tip can be deprojected and the nostril size reduced with a closed rhinoplasty.

Beverly Hills, CA

Rhinoplasty to Sorten My Nose Including the Nostrils

Rhinoplasty by an experienced surgeon can reduce your nose to improve proportions between all parts of your nose, including tip projection and nostril length, and your surrounding facial features.

Rhinoplasty Candidate

Dear syinib, The answer is yes your nose could be refined with rhinoplasty surgery and you are not "forever doomed" You are an excellent candidate for rhinoplasty surgery and should benefit nicely with a natural looking nose that would be achieved by reducing the nasal hump, alar base reduction and reducing tip projection. During consultation and after examination digital imaging can be performed to show you the changes and how these would benefit your overall facial aesthetics by bringing balance and harmony to your entire facial aesthetics. Included in your consultation is the ability to review many before and after photographs of patients with similar noses. Once the desired result is agreed upon then the exact surgical procedures to attain the desired result will be discussed in length. Once this is done then you can make a very informed decision regarding rhinoplasty surgery. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

The nasal areas that you described and would like improved can be addressed with an artistically performed nasal surgery (rhinoplasty).

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what and how to do it based on a limited two dimensional photo without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)  that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You are an excellent candidate for a rhinoplasty.  I agree you nostrils will need to be reduced as well.  The way this is done is by cutting out a crescent of the nostril where it meets the cheek.  When done properly, they heal beautifully and look great.  Good luck!

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Rhinoplasty

Thank you for the question and the simple answer is YES your nose can be dramatically improved with surgery.  So see some experts in your area and become informed how.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

"Nose Job" (rhinoplasty) to shorten nostrils (photo)

While the nostril issue and "shortening" your nose are those issues most apparent to you, having a procedure is an opportunity to change other aspects of your nose as well so the parts of your nose (angles, nostrils, length, width, tip, breathing capacity, skin, etc.) all fit together well, and also so the relationship between your nose and other facial features harmonize naturally and beautifully.

Just changing the elements you mention is certainly possible, but a more comprehensive approach would transform your nose into an asset rather than the liability you now consider it to be.

Steve Laverson, MD