CONSULTATION WITH A SURGEON AND HE NEVER ONCE ASKS YOU YOUR APPEARANCE GOALS. WOULDNT THAT BE A RED FLAG?

Ive went to 2 plastic surgeons for consulting in regards to a tummy tuck and bbl and neither asked me what I wanted to look like? No wish pics or nothing. I thought that would be the first thing. What if my wish wasn't what he or she could do? Why not ask your patients what they aspire to look like and provide your honest feedback?

Goals and Expectations of Abdominoplasty and Buttock Lift

Thank you for your question.  Every plastic surgeon has a different consultation style.   In my practice I always ask "what brings you here", show my patient before and after photos, examine the patient and ask what his/her goals are as well as explain what their expectations should be of what as a surgeon I can actually do.   I need to make sure my patient's expectations are reasonable and make sure I think I can achieve his/her goals.   If I don't think his/her expectations are reasonable or he/she is not a good candidate for surgery, I am straightforward and let my patient know that.   As a patient you want a surgeon you can discuss your goals and expectations with and as a surgeon, I need to be able to communicate with my patient as well.  If you are not comfortable with your 2 consultations, you need to seek out another one with a board certified plastic surgeon.   You and the surgeon need to be on the same page and comfort level of expectation going into surgery.   If your surgeon doesn't ask what your goals are, how does he/she know your expectations can be met? Good luck.

Every plastic surgeon will have a different approach at consultation.  I try to determine what the expectations may be for the patient.  This is done mainly so that I do not operate on a patient who has unrealistic expectations.  In the end, you need to determine who will produce the best result for you.

Beverly Hills, CA

Because you have asked the question it seems obvious you are not satisfied with either of your consultations so it is time to move on. It is very important you find a surgeon in whom you have full confidence. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Feedback

Thank you for the question and sorry for your disappointment with your consults.  I would go on more consults with experts in your area till you find the one you like.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Are "wish pics" useful for tummy tuck consultation?

Your results from a tummy tuck and BBL will depend entirely on your own body, and pictures of others may not reflect what can be accomplished for you. It is important however to establish what your goals and expectations are, so that you and your surgeon can determine how this aligns with what can be accomplished. If you want a low and inconspicuous scar, a flat tummy, and contoured waistline, it is safe to assume that your surgeon already knows that!

Richard Baxter, MD

Red flag?

Each surgeon has their own style when it comes to their consultation style.  The most important thing is that you are comfortable with the surgeon after both consultation and research on the the doctor.  If, for any reason, you are not comfortable with the situation, by all means go elsewhere.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Appearance goals are not quite the same as wish pics...

but it sounds like you were not satisfied with your experiences so its best to move on and find someone you can relate to better as surgery is a journey and you need to feel comfortable with your chosen surgeon and know you can communicate any concerns you may have.  I simply ask was their goals are and ensure the do not desire something that is unrealistic.

Curtis Wong, MD

Choosing a Plastic Surgeon

Dear Ms. Lyri1,

I can sees your frustration and angst.

I suggest you make out a list of your questions and select several nude "model" photos of what your desired goals/look would be and then schedule several additional  and different consultative appointments with experienced Plastic Surgeons who listen, ask questions and are Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and who are ideally members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

You will know when you find the "right" Plastic Surgeon for you.

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
wwwimagineplasticsurgery.com
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

BBL and tummy tuck

you should seek out a surgeon that is attentive to the details of your concerns and expectations. Please see example of BBL and tummy tuck patient. Please make a consultation to discuss the specifics of your surgery.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

It has come to a point where some plastic surgeons assume that the patient knows what to expect, thanks to all the information (and sometimes misinformation) that is available online.  of course this is wrong.  I personally spend a lot of time with my patients to make sure I understand them and they understand my explanations.  However, you need to feel comfortable with your surgeon.  Just make sure you are in the hands of plastic surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  The American Society of Plastic Surgeons web site, has extensive guide lines on how to go about choosing a plastic surgeon and what to ask during a consultation.  Hope this helps.

Ruben B. Abrams, MD, FACS