Concerns about downsizing more than half the current implant size? Help, please.

2012, 650cc OF 800cc Saline under muscle. I need them out. They have grown with each baby (2). They are ridiculously large, my back constantly hurts. The incisions around my areolas are not pleasant and my areolas are stretched out. (he took in some skin around the areola for a lift) I want these and replaced with smaller implants. 350-400cc? My breast are SO stretched out, is this possible? To not have tons of extra skin? To have smaller areolas again? What kind of procedure will this take?

Downsizing

Thank you for your questions.  It sounds like the downsizing in your case might require a breast lift.  You might also need an areola reduction and small implants to maintain volume.  Because there are no photos, you will need to see a board certified plastic surgeon to determine what will be best for you after a physical evaluation.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Concerns about downsizing more than half the current implant size?

Without photos or an in-person exam, it is difficult to make an accurate recommendation, however this sounds like something I see frequently.  If you would like to significantly reduce the size of your implants, you will likely need a breast lift.  This will accomplish your goals while giving you a youthful, lifted appearance.  Because your implants are already under the muscle this can usually be done safely in one operation and not two.  Be sure to consult with a few board certified plastic surgeons who have demonstrated great results with breast lifts as it is a more technical operation than an augmentation.  Best of luck.

Michael Brucker, MD

Downsize + Lift

Hello, it sounds like you would benefit most from downsizing your implants and also getting a lift. If you don't get a lift, the significantly smaller breast volume will sag in the same amount of skin. Your surgeon should also be able to reduce your areolas during this operation. I recommend consulting a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your wishes for your appearance and the options available to you. Best regards.

Jaime Perez, MD

Plastic Surgery Center of Tampa

Jaime Perez, MD

#BreastImplants #BreastLift - Concerns about downsizing more than half the current implant size?

In general, you can have your implants removed, and a breast lift, to produce a more desirable shape and size (based on what you're saying).  That being said, it is not a simple or small procedure, and there are risks involved, including poor wound healing, that may necessitate a staged procedure.  In that case you have your implants removed and a lift at the first procedure, and then new implants inserted at a later date.  Most women, of course, want it all done at once - but that is not always possible, even when appropriate plans and arrangements have been made.

You should meet with several board-certified plastic surgeons in your area to get a better sense of what is recommended and advisable for you, after which you can make a more informed decision.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. Alan Engler
Member of #RealSelf100
@RealSelf

Downsizing following babies and prior breast aug and lift

You can easily downsize your breast size with a smaller implant and a revision lift. The ideal lift procedure to correct scarring around the areola is a vertical mastopexy. A consultation would be helpful to show you how you can achieve the results you are desiring.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Downsizing breast implants

Breast augmentation, like any aesthetic plastic surgery, is surgery that is individualized to the specific needs, goals, and desires of the individual.  There is no preset operation that works for everyone.  The questions that you have about the kind of implant, size of the implant, and how it is placed into the body really depends on many factors.  Some of these are the size of your breasts, size of your chest, your body frame, your specific lifestyle, and also your specific concerns.  My advice to you is to have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area, so you can address these specific questions. 

As part of the consultation, be sure to share your specific goals and concerns about the operation and be candid about your desired outcome.  Also, if you would like to have a second opinion, then get a second opinion.  I think this can just give you additional information and helps to clarify what you want for yourself.  It might also help you determine which surgeon you have a good rapport with and with whom you feel comfortable doing your operation.  I hope this helps. 

Paul Fortes, MD

Based on the description of your breasts, it sounds like a breast lift would be beneficial in addition to your goal of downsizing your breast implants. A breast lift will reduce the size of your areolae and improve the stretched breast skin. Downsizing is a good idea and will help to alleviate your back pain. Thank you for sharing your question and concerns. Best wishes.

Gregory Park, MD

Downsizing implants

Hi Tam,
thanks for your question. Sorry you're having these problems. Downsizing the implant size will alleviate many of your problems. You will most likely need a lift to reduce the areolar diameter and remove the sagging skin to improve your breast shape. These are procedures we commonly perform in our La Jolla practice. Make sure you see a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in revisionary breast surgery. Best of luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD. FACS,FICS
Triple Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS

I am sorry to hear about your concerns.  It is difficult to give you good advice without photographs but based on your description it sounds like you may benefit from removal of breast implants downsizing of breast implants,  and probably breast lifting as well. I make this suggestion based on the description of your skin that has "stretched out" as well as a desire to have smaller areolas.

Ultimately, you we you will be best off seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients with this type of revisionary breast surgery. You may find the attached link, dedicated to revisionary breast surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.