Chin implant best option? (photos)

I am 27 and my face is starting to sag. I have a lot of extra neck skin and just loose jaw area skin. Wasn't very heavy before but had a rounder face that thinned out as I have aged. My chin is also curled up so I feel like the jowls are excensuated. Been interested in possibly a chin implant to help balance my face and take up some slack with my skin along the jaw law. Am open to any ideas to help balance my face. I have always hated my profile as my chin is curled and have a weak jawline.

FACIAL REJUVENATION

Dear sas2010, A chin implant would not correct the current concerns that you have with skin laxity. Your chin is already prominent and adding an implant will actually make the facial aesthetic balance further off. I would suggest seeking consultation with some experts and after an examination your options can be fully discussed. You will most likely be a candidate for a minimally invasive facelift with some fat transfer or fillers to the malar region and some liposuction to the neck and chin. These procedures should provide you with a more youthful appearance and a nicely balanced facial aesthetic. See an example of a patient early post surgery in the video above and the link below will have many options to review fat transfer, cervical liposuction etc. These will give you an idea of how rewarding these procedures can be. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Chin implant options

A full set of facial photographs with the entire  face in a chin neutral position are required to make a determination about being a candidate for a chin implant. Chin implants are placed for patients who have a weak and recessive bony chin profile, since it is a bony augmentation.  Chin implants are not placed to stretch skin out in an attempt to tighten loose and inelastic skin. For many examples of chin implants, please see the video and the link below

Chin implant or thread lift

I feel that a chin implant is not going to address your concerns; if you project your chin any further, it will give you a witch's chin. You should consider a thread lift which is ideal for your sagging soft tissues. This is a great alternative for a young patient like you who does not have redundant skin and only sagging skin.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

27 and my face is starting to sag. I have a lot of extra neck skin and just loose jaw area skin.

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures over the past 30 years using dermal fillers, liposuction, facial implants(cheek, chin) and facelifts. I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties with early "jowl" formation. From the photos your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), jowls are present and there is excess skin below the chin however the chin does "not" appear to be weak. These factors combine to create a rectangular shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face. It's important, when using a dermal filler to shape the cheeks, to avoid placement on the outsides of the cheeks as this will widen and broaden the face which is not a feminine characteristic to the face. 

'Jowls” are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face. I would combine liposuction to remove excess fat from the neck as well as some excess skin removal through a small, curved incision under the chin. All performed under a local anesthetic in about 90 if a dermal filler is used to augment and shape the cheeks. Since your chin isn't weak, a chin implant would not aesthetically improve your face.

Hope this helps.

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision: Candidates for Chin Augmentation - Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation

Chin Implant?

Judging from your photos, a chin implant would not be the best option to provide a more youthful look. You look like a good candidate for noninvasive skin tightening procedures and fillers or fat transfer. 

Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options. 

Best of Luck, 

Landon Pryor, MD, FACS
Rockford Plastic Surgeon

Chin/Jaw disproportion--Seek an expert

Fillers to help lift the cheeks like Restylane and Voluma can help lift the cheeks to give you more of a raise in the folds, they also can act as a temporary implant in your mid-face to even out the appearance of your more pronounced chin. Another filler like Radiesse or Sculptra which builds collagen can be injected into the jawline if you are unhappy with your jawline Doing a chin implant would only cause more disproportion, to give you a naturally aesthetically appearance I suggest seeking an expert in fillers/lasers or other surgical options. Sincerely, Dr. Rosenberg

David S. Rosenberg, MD