Cheek implants or Restylane injections for under eye bags? (Photo)

I've been reading about treatments for under eye bags reduction. I think my under eye bags are due to my slightly prominent eyes and my lack of cheekbones. I wonder what is the best option for reducing these annoying bags! Which one looks more natural and less dangerous? Thank you.

Restylane

There are many good fillers which can help to augment your facial shape. I would definitely go with an absorbable filler 1st. It will allow you to see if you like it and subtle changes that can be made to create the shape you're looking for. An implant is a larger operation with a lot of down time and if you're not thrilled you will end up using fillers on top of it to create the shape you're looking for.

Good luck!

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Under Eye Fillers -- Use Cannulas and Go Conservative

I tell people before you treat the under eyes do a little into the fillers to lift and then you need less filler.  I suggest seeing an expert.  Avoid implants when you are younger if you can.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Correcting Eye bags or Cheek Fillers

It appears from your photo that you don't have any bags at all.  You might benefit from a subtle lift in the cheeks from either Voluma or Restylane Lyft.  Both of these products will augment the mid face and reduce the puffiness around the eyes as well.  Best, Dr. Green

Cheek implants or Restylane injections for under eye bags?

I appreciate your question.

From your photo, you appear to have some flattening of your malar area (upper cheeks).  Restylane Lyft would be a good choice to help restore volume there.  For under the eyes, Restylane silk and botox are options.  In person exam need to discuss and review best options for you.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Treatment for under eye bags

Thanks for the photo. your eyes look very good. You don't really have eye bags in the photo. What I do see is some contraction and protrusion of the orbicularis muscle the so called orbicularis roll. This is usually present when smiling and is normal and attractive. There is no reason to change that.

As for fillers like Restylane or the use of cheek implants, they can be great for rounding out the cheeks to give a healthy youthfull shape to the face. Unfortunately they would have no impact on the orciularis muscle roll.  It might be helpful to send in some photos not smiling as this might show something I am not seeing in the current photo.

Good luck

Thomas Buonassisi, MD
Vancouver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Treatment for Eyelid Bags

I would consider a filler such as Voluma or Lyft for the cheeks to add convexity and restore the "apple cheek."  I would also consider a small amount of Botox to the lower eyelid.  It's not certain that Botox would help but it might be worth a try to inject a small amount into the lower eyelid.  I would start by seeing an expert injector for an in-person evaluation, preferably a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Options for Lower Eye Bags and Flat Cheekbones: Implants and Fillers

Dear thefloralbook:

Thanks for sharing your photo! In this photo, you do not appear to have fat bags under the eyes.  I see a flatter upper cheek with thickening of the under (lower) eyelash eyelid muscle.This is similar to your observation of a "lack of cheekbones".

There are many different fillers to be used at different depths along the cheek bone for improvement of your flatter cheek.

Options may include:
  • Radiesse or Voluma / Lyft at the level of the cheek bone
  • Restylane or Juvederm into the cheek fat compartments or under the orbicularis oculi muscle.
  • I am not a proponent of thin fillers like Silk or Belotero into or under the dermis of the tear trough or eyelid as it creates too much swelling, cobblestoning or tindel bluishness. 
  • There is almost no need for surgical implants today for the usual patient due to the longer lasting injectable fillers available today. 

Please consider a consultation for complete examination from a well experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon or Oculoplastic Surgeon who offers surgical AND non-surgical options due to his / her skills and talents. 

I hope this helps. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Eye bags

Restylane is not for eye bags but for indentations under the eyes. it will make the bags worse. Cheek implants may help but you should see a board certified plastic surgeon to get a definitive answer. i think it would be best to have the bags removed with an eye job and then go from there

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Undereye bags with restylane

Restylane is a great filler for the eye area. Please make sure you find an experienced injector since this area can be very tricky to inject, and you don't want to end up with lumps or
bumps. 

Restylane is a good choice for mild lower eyelid bags

Thank you for your question regarding the treatment of your mild lower eyelid bags. From your photograph it appears that Restylane injections will mask the bags. This is a relatively easy and safe procedure. The placement of cheek implants will probably not be as effective in your case and has higher risks. Make an appointment for comprehensive evaluation by an experienced Oculoplastic Surgeon (without your rat ;-) for expert guidance. Good luck!