What is causing my under eye wrinkles and bags at such a young age? (photo)

My undereye bags and wrinkles have gotten increasingly worse since about age 24. I'm currently 30. What could be the underlying cause and what solutions do you suggest?

Under eye area

The biggest component is likely genetics.  Other factors can include allergies, smoking, and eye strain.  Visit with a plastic surgeon in your area to discuss options to help improve this area.  They can include a spectrum depending upon how aggressive you want to be.

Lower eye bags

Thank you for your question and photo. With time eye fat starts to protrude out and cheek fat decreases which makes the fat more prominent. How early in life this happens is genetic and it's nothing you did. People with inhalant allergies can have a similar problem so if you have allergies, treatment can help the eyes at times. Otherwise, to improve it, I would recommend a lower blepharoplasty to reposition the extra fat into the tear troughs to help eliminate the lines. Because you are lean (which is good), you may need volumization in the face which can be done with fillers or fat transfer (commonly combined with lower eyelid surgery). good luck. 

Jeffrey Jumaily, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eye bags at 30

Although you are quite younger than most patients that present with this (usually late 30s or early 40s), you probably have propensity for aging of your eyes at an early time in your life most likely due to genetics ! Regardless, I would avoid any fillers which is going to make your bags look worse. I would consider getting a lower blepharoplasty to definitively remove the bags which is caused by redundant skin and protruding fat. Good news, lower blepharoplasty has much better success in younger patients that older patients.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

Under eye wrinkles and bags.

Thank you for the photos. Thirty is still young, but sometimes, genetics and our environment can cause our eyes to look older than they really are. Both filler and surgery can be used for your particular situation.  The quickest and simplest solution would be to have hyaluronic acid fillers such as Restylane to your lower eyelid area to smooth and lighten the shadows from hollowing in the area. If too much filler is injected, it can be quickly dissolved with hyaluronidase. There is minimal downtime but it will last for less than a year before you need more filler injected. For permanent and more dramatic results, you can have the excess skin removed with a lower eyelid lift (blepharoplasty) and the bulging fat removed or repositioned so that the transition between your eyelid and the cheek is as smooth as possible. There is a greater amount of downtime with surgery and fat repositioning/grafting - you can expect to be bruised and swollen for a few weeks but it is more of a permanent fix. For the best treatment options, it is important to visit an expert for an in-person examination. Hope this helps!

Johnson C. Lee MD

Plastic Surgery

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Under eye bags

Lower eyelid bags are age related with strongest influence from genetics and how your facial structure is arranged.  As we age, we have variable redistribution of facial fat and laxity of eye and mid face soft tissues.  This leads the bags you are noticing.  Allergies, salt intake, stress, lack of sleep can all contribute to daily fluctuations.  Treatment can be surgery, laser or various types of fillers.  Based on your photo, it appears you are lean and the bags are fairly prominent.  In these cases, you are likely to benefit most from lower lid blepharoplasty with fat repositioning.  A full examination of your eyes and face would be necessary to give you a solid recommendation though.  All the best!

Sirius K. Yoo, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Under eye bags and wrinkles

The under eye bags are your parents' fault. It is a genetically inherited trait. The wrinkles are due to ultraviolet changes to the elastic layer of the skin. 

Daniel Lensink, MD
Redding Oculoplastic Surgeon

Goodbye Undereye bags--Eyebags-Wrinkles Treatment: surgery, lasers, filler, microneedling/prp

The bags you have are genetic and can be treated with lower eyelid surgery or fillers, lasers, and microneedling/PRP.  See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer.