Breast implants smaller than what I asked for. Can I have them redone and go bigger? (Photos)

I had breast augmentation two weeks ago. I told my doctor I wanted to go from a large A to a C. We agreed on 325 cc high profiles above the muscle pre surgery. I came out of the operating room with 250 ccs on the right side and 275 on the left. Currently the right side looks smaller than the left. He said when he tried the 300 ccs they looked fake, and he had a hard time getting them in (I have a small BWD - I think he said 11). Do you think he can go bigger without me looking fake?

Wait for full healing to occur before considering a revision procedure.

Thank you for your question and photos. I can understand your frustration of not feeling like you got what you were expecting with your breast augmentation. Since I wasn’t in the operating room during your procedure, it’s difficult to know what challenges your plastic surgeon faced that led to the use of smaller implants. However, it’s not uncommon for us to have to modify our plan of action during the procedure based on the patient’s internal anatomy. It’s entirely possible that there simply was not enough room in the breast pocket to accommodate the implant size you wanted. I’m assuming you’re still very early in the healing process, so be patient and let your breasts completely heal before making any decisions. If you’re still not happy after a year, then you can consider a revision surgery. At that point, the breast pocket will probably have stretched to the point that you could accommodate larger implants.

Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Post op breast augmentation

since you are only two weeks out of surgery, you need to give your body time to heal. It generally takes 8-12 months for complete healing to occur. What that means is the swelling will subside and the implants will drop. Be patient.

Susan Kaweski, MD

Both breasts heal differently

ASSYMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff. SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and "less natural" in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

Implants smaller than what I wanted, now what?

Hi Bree,Thanks for your question and photos. It certainly is possible to upsize, but the question is what are you looking for exactly. If it is natural then 75ccs is certainly possible but it will give you a higher chance of having symmastia or uni-boob or side breast and there would little room for the implant to one way or the other. If it is natural then maybe a shaped implant over the muscle and under the fascia or covering the muscle could give you that look without being fake. Discuss your concerns with you plastic surgeon. But remember that judgement on size should be done at 3 months and beyond. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS

#breastaugmentation #toosmall

Implant size

It is too early to make a final assessment regarding size. You should wait at least six months before considering a size change. A size change is a very simple procedure to undergo if you decide.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Wanting larger breast implants

From your photo, there is mild asymmetry of the breasts, but 2 weeks is far too early to judge your results. You need to be patient with your progress as this will likely evolve over time. Usually we encourage patients to wait between 3 to 6 months before they judge the final results of breast augmentation surgery. Communication with your surgeon is key to your happiness, but there are limitations with each body that may impact the ability of a surgeon to deliver a specific outcome.Continue to follow up with her surgeon to ensure you progress as planned. Best of luck,Vincent Marin, MD San Diego Plastic Surgeon

Vincent P. Marin, MD

mIt would be wise to wait for edema and swelling to resolve for three months prior to revision surgery. Larger implants may be placed with possible pocket revision 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Concerns About Final Appearance

Hello and thank you for your question. I am so sorry to hear that you are unhappy with your procedure results, but there are not always the ability to fit in implants that are too large for the space within the chest, and hopefully you are able to look at the positive results of your surgery, hopefully a larger and perkier breast, even if it is not as large by cup size as you had hoped. The best thing to consider in happiness with plastic surgery results is to look for the most that was done for you and all that you wanted... sometimes everything cannot work out in complete detail or exact expectations. You may be able to get a revision somewhere down the line for an even larger implant and lift that will help, but please allow your body some time to heal and your current implants to set. Best of luck to you!

Breast implants smaller than what I asked for.

I'm sorry to hear about the concerns you are experiencing after breast surgery. Although I understand your concerns,  every patient's anatomy does limit how large of a breast implant can be utilized safely.  In other words,  the use of a breast implant that is too large for a patient's frame may be problematic in many ways.   

Given that you are fresh out of surgery, it is definitely too early to evaluate the outcome of the procedure performed.You should be aware that a significant percentage of patients at the early stages of recovery will feel that they are too big or (more commonly) too small. I routinely ask my patients to wait at least 3-6 months before evaluating the end results of the breast augmentation surgery. This waiting time allows patients to (usually) physically and psychologically adapt to the new body image.      For example, many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting. Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger.  Although online consultants cannot predict whether or not you will be pleased with the long-term outlook, of the procedure performed, it is safe to predict that the breasts will change. Do your best to stay emotionally even keeled. If, in the long term, you remain displeased with the breast size, it is very likely that your plastic surgeon will be able to increase breast size further.  Best wishes.